Chapter Seventeen

Remember to vote and comment to let me know what you thought of this chapter!

Kane watched Nora out of the corner of his eye as he bent over to tie his laces. "I'll be back in about an hour," he told her.

Nora sat at the desk in the corner of his room, her phone in her hand. "Okay," she mumbled out so quietly that Kane almost missed the word.

"Do you want to come with me?" he asked.

He wasn't sure if he wanted her to say yes or no. He was about to go for a run, and although he loved running alone, he really needed to talk to Nora. She had been avoiding the subject since the day before, when they got back from Maysville. Every time Kane started a conversation she would come up with some excuse as to why she couldn't talk.

Nora shook her head, not a word leaving her mouth.

Kane had to forcefully hold back the sigh that threatened to leave his lips. He didn't want to upset her, but he wished that she would talk to him. They seemed to be living in some strange limbo where they were together and yet not together. The truth was out there now and Kane didn't know where they should go from here, and from the looks of it, neither did Nora.

Kane wanted to sit back down on his bed and just have the conversation that he knew was inevitable, but now was not the time. The distant vibe Nora held in that current moment would undoubtedly make her a bad conversationalist. He needed to give her space to cool down or gather her thoughts or do whatever she needed to do to get her out of this mood.

If he was being honest, he missed the old Nora. The one who pretended to love him. At least she cared. At least they were able to talk about their problems, even if they didn't. Now, she was acting like she didn't care about him in the least. He wondered if she was just scared that he was going to leave her. He was scared that he was going to leave her too.

Kane walked out of the room. His thoughts were too much. He needed to be running through the woods, to be able to focus on anything other than the sad, distant girl in his room.

He saw Heath from the staircase. He had been watching a movie, but paused it when Kane reached the bottom of the stairs. Heath turned from the couch. "Where are you going?" he asked.

Kane nodded towards the front door. "Run."

"You're leaving me here alone with Miss Sassy Pants?" Heath asked with a roll of his eyes.

"Lay off Nora," Kane told him. He sat on the edge of the couch and lowered his tone. "We are going through a hard time."

"I'm going through a hard time," Heath replied, "your mate has not only ignored me, like, five times today, but she also ate all of my cookies, which is basically a crime."

"She did?"

"Yeah, I had at least seven cookies in the cupboard," Heath said exasperatedly.

Kane sighed. "Not the cookies. I meant, she ignored you today?"

Heath nodded. "Every time I try to talk to her she just pretends that I didn't say anything."

Kane bit at his lip. He didn't know what to do. Nora wasn't like this. She wouldn't be rude to someone. The bond sent a bad feeling into his gut that told him it was his fault. That fight the other night shouldn't have happened. He had turned Nora into someone she wasn't. "I'm sorry she was rude to you. I'll, uh, I'll talk to her."

"Don't bother," Heath muttered. "I don't know why she's here anyway. It's obvious that you two aren't right for each other."

Kane couldn't argue that. "She's here because she's my mate and we are trying to make it work."