Chapter Thirty-Seven

Kane piled the heavy bags in his hands into the trunk of the car. He turned to go get the rest of them, but was instead faced with Eve who was standing next to the car with one duffle in her hand and another thrown over her shoulder. She handed the straps to Kane. "I brought these from inside," she told him with a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Thank you," he said as he placed the bag on top of the others. 

Eve placed the other bag in the trunk and closed it. She nodded towards the path. "Come for a walk with me," she said. Kane walked next to her, their footsteps slow. They hadn't spoken since the afternoon before when they had arrived back at the pack house. Nora had tearfully told her what had happened. Eve had made them cups of tea and tried to comfort them, but Nora had run up to her room and Mason had sat silently, ignoring the cup in front of him. Kane had been the only one who could truly speak of it.

"I'm really sorry about what happened yesterday," Eve said with sadness in her words, "I really thought that it would have gone differently with Rita."

Kane sighed. "Yeah, I really wasn't expecting that."

"What did she say, again, about why she cannot break the bond?" Eve asked.

Kane shrugged. "She said something about not being able to change the bond once it was formed. Our bond is too strong since Nora and I met."

Eve shook her head in anger. "That's ridiculous. She's the one who made the mistake to begin with, how could she not even attempt to fix it."

Kane kept his eyes on the flowers beside them as they walked down the path which led to the back of the house and through the garden of flowers. "Yeah," he muttered. He wasn't sure how much he could speak of it without tears forming.

"What are you going to do?"

Kane shrugged. "I don't know yet, but I know that I'm not going to give up."

Eve nodded. "I believe, even after this, that you will find a way."

"I don't know if Mason feels the same," Kane admitted.

"Do you think he's given up?" Eve wondered.

Kane wasn't sure exactly what was going on inside Mason's head. Kane had tried to speak to him about what happened a couple of times during the night, but he would just change the subject at the first chance he could get. He was the opposite to Nora, who had come downstairs and sat at the dining room table with Owen all night long reading werewolf history books with cups of coffee in their hands. They had been searching for similar situations, but when Kane asked how they went Nora had tearfully admitted they'd come up with nothing. His mates were on either sides of the spectrum, and Kane wasn't totally sure where he sat on it to begin with.

"I think we are all struggling to make sense of it," Kane explained, "but he won't even speak of it. I wish he'd talk to me about it."

"It's a big thing to wrap his mind around," Eve said, "he had hope that it was going to be a quick solve with Rita."

"He was hopeful because of me," Kane admitted, "he was the one who wanted us to think of a plan B, and to be prepared in case she wouldn't help us, and instead I just kept telling him that it was going to be fine and it would all work out. I was wrong, he should be mad at me."

"I don't think he'd be mad," Eve assured him. "You aren't a bad person for wanting to remain hopeful."

"What if I do it to him again?" Kane asked. "What if I keep telling him that we can figure it out but we can't?"