Chapter Thirty-Five

Kane wrapped his fingers around the hot cup of coffee in his hands. He glanced down at it, unsure if he really needed the caffeine. He had been up since three in the morning, alternating between staring at the ceiling above and his sleeping boyfriend. His blood was a mixture of excitement and anxiety, and adding caffeine into the mix wasn't exactly going to help. However, Kane couldn't resist and took a sip.

He stared at the time on his phone. Fifteen minutes until they were leaving. He was so close that he could almost feel it. He imagined the bond changing, shifting from Nora to Mason. He thought about the way he would feel, to finally feel connected to Mason in a way that he hadn't ever felt before. He thought of the painting Mason had given him, of the bond between them, thick and tangible. He wanted that more than he wanted anything.

Then his thoughts shifted to Nora. He thought of the day after they had first met, when she told him about daydreaming about meeting her mate. She could have that. The perfect meeting, the perfect love. It was what she had always dreamt of, and now, with her real mate, it would all come true. He smiled for her, and he had assumed the bond would have hated the idea of her with another man, but it didn't seem to mind. His head wasn't rushed with the feeling of jealousy he was used to, instead he just felt it at the edges of his mind, easily pushed back. He hoped that was a good sign. The bond might have known that it was close to its end. Perhaps, it was just as excited to be fixed as they were. He liked to hope that was true.

He heard the glass door open behind him and Mason walked out onto the deck. His hair was wet from the shower. Kane took a moment to stare at him, the sunlight hitting the lightness of his hair and the way his grey eyes seemed to shine.

"I've been trying to find you for ten minutes," Mason said with a sigh. "This house is way too big."

Kane smiled over at him. "It really is a maze, isn't it?"

Mason nodded. He took the seat next to Kane at the wooden outdoor table. "I wanted to find you, because I wanted to talk to you before we left."

Kane placed his coffee down on the table. He turned to Mason. "Talk about what?"

Mason reached for his hand. "I just want us to talk about what happens today, if uh," his expression grew grim. He blinked a couple of times. "If it turns out that-"

Kane shook his head quickly. "Mason."

"Yeah?"

"That's not going to happen," he told him. Kane couldn't let himself think, even for a moment, that the witch doctor wasn't going to right her wrong. He squeezed Mason's hand. "It's going to be fine."

Mason looked out at the massive garden past the porch for a few moments before turning back to Kane with a torn expression. He bit at the edge of his lip before adding, "I believe that too, it's just that we need to have some kind of a plan or understanding in case it can't be fixed."

"I don't want to think like that," Kane told him.

Mason started to speak, but was interrupted when the glass door opened. Kane turned to see Eve standing in the doorway. "Good morning, my favourite unmated mates!" she said with a bright smile. She practically skipped towards the table, sitting down next to Mason. "Do you need anything for today?"

"I think we are good, thank you," Kane told her.

"Okay, just let me know if you do," Eve replied. She quickly glanced back at the house before turning back to them. "Now, was it just me or did you guys see Owen and Nora eyeing each other all through dinner last night?"

Mason's eyes widened. "You noticed too!"

Eve smiled. "Yes!"

"How did they even meet?" Kane asked.