6. Purgatory

I heard something annoying buzzing beside me. Why was everything so dark? Oh right my eyes are closed.

I slowly blinked my eyes open and snapped the alarm clock off. What day was it? Right. The day of the arrival of my nightmare.

I wasn't able to get one ounce of sleep last night. I just tossed and turned thinking about my second home suddenly turned into purgatory, school. The small amount of sleep that I got was during the early hours of morning and I was grateful of it being dreamless. I don't think I could have handled any extra shit right now.

I got up with a goal in my mind - to put up a good show. I got ready in a few minutes and went down to get my breakfast. As soon as I entered the kitchen, Shan barked out a laugh.

"Oh my my. My sister is looking so intimidating. I can't even look her in the eyes!"

I had my wild, raven hair tightly pulled back in a ponytail and applied a bit of mascara to make my eyes look sharp. Neat and clean personality with my chin held high.

I don't do make up everyday. It's reserved just for my dance and drama programme. But as one says desperate times asks for desperate measures.

"My dear little brother. Hasn't anyone told you? In acting looks are just for extra effect. The whole show depends on your skills."

I don't need to argue early in the morning. So I just went to get the most important thing, food. Mum had already left for the preliminary school in which she teaches and Pa as always went for a 5 kms jog.

After finishing our breakfast and we went out. I locked the front door from the key kept hidden in the hanging flower pot. My brother had already ditched me and had ran to the stop to get his morning treat from Nishi. She as usual had a new type of cookie. She cooks really great cookies at night and give to Shan in the morning to investigate.

"So how is shinning star today? Ready for your new job? " she asked with a bit of amusement when I neared her.

"You think this is funny?"

"No. Of course not. I think this is...... hilarious." Shan snickered at her statement.

Right then the bus arrived and she was saved from a punch. Not in the literal sense.

In the bus, I can feel everyone getting excited at the prospect of welcoming a foreigner. Seeing a fair skinned person in India and that too in our small little town was such a great thing for them. It is quite saddening to realise that our country so rich in culture, is still a victim of racism. I accept that the new generation has worked a lot in changing the rock hard values of the elders, but still some cheap minded people are out there trying to keep the society evils alive.

Shan rushed in to sit with his friends and they started chatting about this new pokemoń movie. I grabbed the only window seat left and Nishi sat beside me. She too would have noticed my distress as the bus ride was relatively quite.

As we entered the school grounds, I caught Nishi straining her neck to take a good look at our high school building. While getting off the bus, she sighed dramatically and whisper screamed in relief, "You are safe Riya! You are safe!"

"What?" I asked perplexed.

"He has not yet arrived. "

"How can you know?"

"I don't see any big group of fan girls in there. "

I chuckled at her detective senses and entered the building. My chin held high, my posture straight and a fierce intensity in my eyes.

"Hmm.... This should do." Nishi commented from beside me. "One small little advice. Don't loose your confidence. " with that she went away.

I headed to Father's office where I was supposed to meet him before all hell breaks loose. I mean before HE enters the building and everyone goes into a frenzy. I can already imagine them rhapsodizing in such a hellish way.