Chapter 5

Updating at 10 votes<3 thanks for your ongoing support guys. I'm really glad that me and my writing partner didn't discontinue now:3 enjoy!

-----

That evening, we drive back to Ethan's place. It is an apartment with a modern look to it. We don't talk much, as he obviously feels the awkward vibes radiating from me. I am frightened. Frightened that Jai might come knocking at any moment and drag me out of the house by just a fistful of my hair. Ethan senses that all I need is some time to reflect on what has happened. I thank him mentally for that, as I don't want to have to deflect any more prying questions.

Entering the kitchen, he takes my coat and work things, placing them on the armrest of the sofa.

"Sorry, it's not much. You can have the bed and I'll take the sofa tonight." He reasons with me. I feel awful taking away his comfort, as he didn't need to enter my way of life like he had. I begin to protest, but he places a finger on my lips and grins. "Stop it. You have enough on your plate without having to deal with a bad back in the morning." He saunters towards the fridge, opening it and sweeping over its contents. "Is chicken salad okay with you?" He asks, turning to gauge my reaction. I nod enthusiastically as he sets about cooking.

"I can do that..." I offer, reaching over to help him. He swats my hand away, yet it isn't an aggressive gesture, and smiles.

"Let me treat you tonight. Besides, I'm a great cook." He says modestly, his smile touching the corners of his eyes. "Go pick a movie and I'll be with you shortly. I'll even let you put me through the ordeal of watching a chick flick."

I laugh, wandering tentatively into the living room, scanning the DVD collection. Tonight would probably be one of the first nights that I've relaxed in years.

~~~~~

The next day, I awake to the chirruping of birds. Rolling over, I expect to find a drunken Jai sprawled out next to me, yet only down-feather pillows greet me. A small smile creeps onto my face, yet alarm enters my head. All too soon this bliss will be over, and I would have to return to him. I glance at my crumpled clothes and groan in despair. I can't wear those! But what else can I wear? Turning to Ethan's wardrobe, I find my answer. Bingo.

~~~~~

My footfalls are light on the tiles as I enter the kitchen, slipping onto a barstool. Ethan is cooking what appears to look like pancakes. It is our day off, as the bank shuts on Sundays. Ethan begins to speak, asking my topping preference, yet as he turns, he gasps.

I am wearing one of his t-shirts and a pair of boxer briefs.

"I'm sorry, I didn't have anything to wear..." I stammer, falling over my words as my face flushes red. Yet instead of criticising me, he just smiles.

"Good choice. One of my favourite t-shirts." He winks, before giving me a plate of pancakes, covered with blueberries and strawberry sauce. My embarrassment is forgotten as I eat, savouring each mouthful.

~~~~~

Picking up my phone, I switch it on. I brace myself for the thousands of threatening text messages from Jai, yet none are present. Frowning, I look up at Ethan whom is sat across from me, watching some programme about cars.

"I'm going to have to go back some time. I have no clothes or any of my belongings..." I only have a few memoirs, yet they are my most precious things I own. Most of them remind me of home such as my first teddybear, an old letter from a now distant friend of mine and a musical jewellery box with a ballerina in it, which was a birthday present from my parents. There were other small trinkets that I have collected from my childhood, and I know I have to return for them. Ethan turns his attention to me.

"I'll take you down when you feel like you're up to it. I'm not leaving you alone with him Eleanor." He says defiantly. As he finishes, my phone begins to ring. It flashes up as an unknown number. Answering, I press it to my ear, expecting it to be Jai or one of his drug addict friends. Instead, I listen to an official voice at the other end. When it has finished, I let my phone drop into my lap. Raising my head slowly, my mouth gapes.

"It's Jai. He's in hospital. I have to go."