Damon Salvatore - Not today

"What the hell do you want?!" Damon turned around, startling you while he moved. "You don't need to follow me everywhere, Y/N. It's starting to become annoying."

You came out from behind the tree where you had been hiding. It felt stupid to stay there and pretend you weren't there when he had discovered you already.
"You were not supposed to know I was there." You hid your hands, with the stake in it, behind your back, hoping he wouldn't notice it. Until now he had just laughed you away, which was far more humiliating than actually hurting you, but you had no idea when that would change. And humiliating or not... you preferred to be alive.

He looked at you with that piercing gaze he had, a small frown on his forehead.
"And still I do. You suck as a hunter, you know that? Even little Gilbert was better at it when he just started. And that's in no way a compliment to him." He closed the distance between the two of you quickly and pried your arm out from behind your back.
"Are you trying to kill me? Again?" He forced the stake out of your hand and pocketed it. "Not that I'm afraid you'll get even near me, but you never know if you'd cause any unintended damage."

"I..." You stuttered. You had never thought his opinion could do that much damage for your ego. He was a monster, he was responsible for the death of one of your friends and all you wanted was to see him dead. You just seemed to be too clumsy and too inexperienced to even get close. "I'll get to you in the end... You can't be lucky forever." If he managed to evade you with luck, it wasn't a lack of skills on your side. It meant you still had a chance. That one time, everything would fall your way and you would manage to end his life.

He stepped even closer to you, pushing you against the tree with his hand on your chest.
"This isn't luck, amateur. I've lived far longer than you have. I've dealt with wanna bes like you so often I didn't even keep count." His hand crept up to your throat, slowly forcing the air out of you. "The likes of you aren't even worth my effort to do that." He smirked, closing his hand a bit, cutting off more of your air.

You tried to struggle, you tried to push him away, but he stood firm. Damn those vampires with their strength.
"So now you're killing me?", you managed to get out. "Like so many before?" Like your friend who brought you here. Like all those other friends of other people he must have killed. Like those hunters he was talking about.

"Now?" He shrugged without releasing the pressure. He was silent for a moment, a moment that seemed to last for an eternity while you were fighting for every breath. He smiled, letting the fearsome features of his vampire face come out, but he still didn't answer your question. He still didn't seem to make a decision. Until he suddenly dropped his hand, causing you to fall on your knees. "Run, and I won't kill you now. I don't feel like disposing of your body. I can't give any guarantees what happens if you're still somewhere in my sight after ten seconds though."

So you ran. Despite the fact that your throat hurt like you swallowed sandpaper, despite the fact that you were gulping in air, you scrambled up and ran as fast as you could. You still planned on killing this man... this monster, but today was not the day that would happen.