Damon Salvatore - If only hating you was as easy as loving you

"I'm leaving." You packed your back and randomly started to shove some of your stuff in it. "You don't have to think I'll stay here a moment longer. I'm sick of you!" You didn't care that you left half of your stuff with him. You'd send someone to get it. You'd text him angrily to send it to wherever you were going to stay now. Getting away from him was your first priority. Everything else would come later.

Damon didn't even seem to be impressed. He was still sitting on the couch, feet propped up on the table, watching you with what even could be interpreted as a bit of amusement. He drove you crazy.
"Go for it, I'd say. Don't expect me to help you, though..."

You held your breath for a moment to make sure you wouldn't jump on him and started to hit him. Instead, you decided to just throw a book in his direction, one he of course caught without a problem.
"Like you ever help someone. That's exactly the problem. All that counts for you is you. Everyone else, including me, can just disappear. Am I right?"

"Sometimes.", he shrugged. "And don't play the hypocrite by saying that you never think something like that. You're just too afraid to admit it." He stood up and put the book back on the shelf where it belonged. Then he walked to the door, opening it.
"Need any help getting out of here? I mean, just in case you forgot where the door is. You take far too long in stuffing that one shirt in your bag. You're sure you really want to leave?"

You were. And you weren't, at the same time. And you hated feeling like that. Damon was a dick, there was nothing more suitable that you could think about when you had to describe him. But you had also spend countless evenings on the couch, just reading to each other. Countless nights doing... well, things you weren't going to think about now, or you wouldn't be able to walk out in the first place. He had even rescued you once or twice. You noticed he was right. You were stalling.

And he knew it before you had even noticed it. Because he knew you, maybe better than you knew yourself.
"It's getting cold here, Y/N. Make up your mind, ok? Leave or stay."

You only noticed than you were just standing there, the half open bag in your hand. Leaving would be so easy... all you had to do was take those few steps towards the door, walk to your car and never look back. And somehow, you couldn't...
"If only hating you was as easy as loving you..." It was out before you had even noticed you said it. You hadn't wanted to say it in the first place.

It did make him close the door, though. Both him and you knew you weren't going. Not after he had just basically hear you say you loved him.
"I'm pretty easy to hate, or so I've heard all my life..."

You shrugged. You knew he had been hated more than he had been loved, but you had seen that other side of him. The side he was afraid to show, because it had so often been hurt.
"They didn't know you the way I do." You put down the bag. You'd unpack it later. "But this doesn't mean I'm not still mad at you. It just means that running out on you isn't the solution. Not for me, but not for you either."