Chapter 1

FIVE YEARS LATER

Chapter 1

“You’re so pathetic.”

I looked at Tracy and broke into uncontrollable laughter. “I’m pathetic? Hey, Kayla, between the two of us, who do you think is more pathetic?” I asked, in between spasms of laughter.

“Neither one of you is pathetic.”

“Observe these two situations, okay? Jordan is blindly in love with a straight woman who doesn’t give her the time of day and uses her like a rug,” Tracy said.

I, (Jordan Jenkins) cut in and explained the rest of the statement.  “And Tracy here, is having an affair with a married man who, typically enough keeps promising to leave his wife for her and she keeps naively believing him as if she doesn’t know any better.” 

“I got fired today,” Kayla said and Tracy and I went silent. “The company let me go,” she said, then started laughing as though it was the funniest thing.

“Didn’t you want to quit?” Tracy asked.

“I did. I mean, I wasn’t happy working there but I was going to quit once I was sure I knew what I was going to do with my life.”

“Tough luck, guess between the three of us, you take the prize,” I said and rose my beer bottle to toast against Kayla’s and Tracy’s, my two best friends.

“Let’s just get ourselves drunk stupid,” Tracy suggested.

“I can’t. I have to get up early tomorrow,” I said and got to my feet.

“Look who’s here,” Kayla said as she turned her attention towards the entrance of the night club.

“Well, well, well..., if it isn’t your blood sucking vermin,” Tracy said resentfully as Jenny Douglas, the woman they claimed I was in love with, walked over to our table.

“On second thought, maybe I’ll stay a while longer,” I said, directing the statement right at Tracy as Jenny made her way over to us and hugged me with open affection.

“I thought I wasn’t going to make it,” Jenny said, then quickly air-kissed Kayla.

“Some of us were hoping you wouldn’t,” Tracy said and I punched her shoulder because of the rudeness.

“Ouch! That hurts,” she complained.

“What’s going on? Why do you all look so sulky?” Jenny asked, ignoring Tracy’s remark.

“Sometimes you forget that the only reason we stand you is because you’re Jordan’s friend, not ours,” Tracy clearly stated.

“Did someone put a bitter pill in your drink?” Jenny asked.

Kayla and I broke into laughter. 

“Did she get dumped by that married guy?” Jenny asked and I bit the fleshy part of my lower lip, avoiding Tracy’s bitter gaze.

“I can’t believe you told her!” Tracy grumbled.

“She didn’t. I forced the information out of her,” Jenny defended me.

“Don’t look at me like that, she’s not lying,” I said defensively when Tracy continued to stare at me.

“Come on you guys, let’s get along.” Kayla, always the peacemaker, said calmly.

“You want a drink?” I asked Jenny who brightly smiled at me and nodded.

I went to the bar counter and ordered a round for everyone, then went back to our table and conversation casually resumed.