Chapter 5

Chapter 5

“Where are you?” Gloria asked.

“On my way to the penthouse,” I said as I drove my jeep along the neighborhood of Manhattan's most elite.

“You better hurry,” Gloria said in a warning tone.

“Is there a problem?”

“Mrs. Langford arrived last night and she's not pleased with the mess you left lying around the penthouse on Saturday.”

“What mess? I was the last person to leave the penthouse and I made sure everything was put away.”

“Just get there, fast.”

My mind trailed back to Saturday evening. I had made sure everything was put away so I did not understand what mess Mrs. Langford was referring to?

I got there ten minutes later, parked my car, took the equipment that I needed and headed to the penthouse using the elevator. A minute later, I walked in and looked around. Everything was in place just as I had left it. My colleagues were already busy at work and there was no one else in sight.

“Oh, Jordan, thank goodness you're here. Mrs. Langford wants us to redo the painting. She says it makes the room look dull. She also says that she doesn't like the furniture and that we should give her a selection to choose from,” Jim, my assistant, informed me.

“Where is she?”

Jim pointed to the master bedroom.

After putting down everything I had been carrying, I walked towards the bedroom. I had never seen any pictures of Mrs. Langford so I had no idea how she looked like. Judging from Mr. Langford's age and his lack of interest in anything else rather than business, I assumed that the Missus would be most likely the same.

I softly knocked on the door and heard a sharp tone of voice command me in. Scanning the room, my gaze settled on the feminine image facing the closet.

Mrs. Langford was dressed in just a bra and a formal skirt and looked like she was going through the closet in search of a matching top. She had the perfect figure from where I was standing. Her hair was long, endlessly so, and appeared like the sun had bathed in it for so long, it had captured the golden glow.

This woman couldn't have been over thirty. Her curves, her skin, her complexion, everything that was in my sight screamed younger. With the realization came immediate dislike because such people were often stuck up and opinionated. She’d probably want everything done her way.

The fact that she was married to a rich businessman and lived in such a lavishly expensive penthouse only added volumes of arrogance to this young woman.

“What do you want?” The woman asked in a calmer tone which still sounded harsh and reproaching, leaving me a little speechless.

When I found the words I wanted to say, the woman whirled around and was about to say something that I distinctly knew I would not like, when our gazes met and we both froze in shock.

“You?” I said when I recovered my voice, but the rest of my body was still in awe.

How could it be?

“You're Mrs. Langford?” I asked again.

A familiar twinge of pain, a sharp prick of heartbreak, tore through my heart and I could literally feel it bleeding.

“Mommy! Mommy! I can't find my shoes.” A little girl ran in screaming.

Mrs. Langford picked her up in her arms as the wound within me continued to deepen. For a whole minute, I could not breathe. Had I just stepped into a nightmare?