Chapter 2

Chapter 2 

Kayla's POV

The party turned out to be a bigger event than Kayla had thought it would be. She should have known, since Rick Dolt was such a huge superstar. There were several celebrities present, though she didn't care much for them and it was a formal event, unlike what she was used to.

Jordan and Jenny were together through out most of the night, and she found herself wishing Tracy would show up since Kayla was the only one present who did not know the people with the big names in the room. The only pleasant part of the evening was the fact that there was unlimited supply of alcohol.

Kayla got to learn a lot about the foundation and thought the initiative was kind and generous. She'd always wanted to do something for the society but had never known how or where to begin. Though she wasn’t playing any role in this particular event, she wished she had been.

“Excuse me, do I know you?”

She heard a male voice ask and turned to find a seven foot tall, good looking gentleman standing behind her. His face did not look familiar so she wondered if he was talking to someone else. She had been standing at the terrace of the hall of the seven-star restaurant lost in oblivion.

Taking notice of the fact that she was alone, she asked, “Do I know you?”

The tall gentleman raised his eyebrow and took a step closer to her. He had a half-empty glass of champagne in one hand, while the other one was tucked away in his expensive, perfect fitting suit. “I would think so,” he said with a hint of arrogance.

“What would make you think that?” Kayla asked.

The serious expression on his face disappeared and his features softened, giving him a rather boyishly attractive look. “Sorry, I didn't mean to come off sounding arrogant. That was my pitiful attempt at getting your attention. You appeared miles away.”

Kayla gave him a once-over, then ignored him.

“You look bored,” he said.

“I am,” she said, feeling a little self-conscious at the way he was studying her.

She had worn an evening gown that Jordan had sent her a little earlier on during the day for that particular event. It was a beautiful, black, strapless, long elegant dress that hugged her body with a seductiveness that she failed to notice, tempted men.

“Would you like me to get you another drink?” he asked.

The night was pitch dark, but the skyscrapers and their exaggerated security floodlights created enough illumination to light up the starless sky. “No, I think I've had enough,” Kayla said, feeling a little uncomfortable. She turned to face the crowd inside and couldn't spot Jordan or Jenny.

“Does my presence irk you so?” he asked, surprising her with his boldness.

“I'm sorry,” she said, feeling even more uncomfortable now.

“Take a breath and relax. I won't hurt you and I promise I don't bite. I just wanted to get out of there, get some air. I didn't mean to bother you.”

The way he talked made her wonder if she'd been too quick to judge him.

“I came with a friend and I don't know where she disappeared to. I don't really know anyone here. The longer I stay, the more I wonder what I came here to do,” she nervously said, then shivered when a cool breeze blew past.

“You don't believe in Rick Dolt's Initiative?”

She shook her head at his question. “I think it's sweet of him to open such a humanitarian foundation. It'll make the kids feel loved, appreciated and valued.”