Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Taylor was surprised to find Henry home. He had not called to say he was coming back, even though he never usually did but it was still surprising to find him there. He acknowledged her, said an awkward hello to Angie and then waited until she left for school.

Taylor had woken up to find a delicious breakfast set on the table. She had seen the pained look in Jordan while Angie had been talking about school and the friends she had made and Taylor had understood. Jordan wanted them to be a family.

“You are allowed to do whatever you want but that does not give you the right to drag Angela along with you,” Henry scolded Taylor shortly after Angie left for school.

They usually fought about a lot of things but this was a first. “You want to tell me you’re actually concerned about what goes on in her life?” Taylor asked while she got ready for work.

Jordan’s crew had finished remodeling the penthouse and a clean up crew was coming later on to clear up what had been left behind. Jordan’s work was flawless. The penthouse looked like it had come ready made. Taylor was more than pleased with the results.

“She is still my daughter and I do not appreciate you sleeping out and taking her along with you,” Henry said, expressing his irritation at Taylor’s behavior. “I should have known what you were when I married you.” He openly displayed his disgust.

They had argued about her sexuality enough times to known how greatly Henry disapproved of it. “And then what? You would have abandoned me and Angie? You would have saved yourself from a life of being tied down to one woman?” Taylor asked, enunciating on the words to show him that their marriage did not stop him from doing what he pleased.

“No, of course not, I’m a gentleman.”

Indeed he was, that she completely agreed with but he was not meant to be a father or a husband. She was starting to realize that now.

Tired of the countless fights that always left them both in distaste, she made a choice. “Henry,” she said as she stopped what she was doing to look at him.

He was standing at the door, holding a newspaper in his hands. He was wearing a suit, as always, as though he was ready to go somewhere, as usual. Despite his stance or the authority in his voice, he looked weak, worn out and old.

Taylor had never looked at his age before, she’d looked at his spirit, his energy for life, for business and his taste for adventure, but looking at him now was like seeing him for the very first time. There was only so much money could buy. He had always been in good health as far as Taylor was concerned.

She’d never been a good or caring enough wife to get to know what he did outside that penthouse. The only thing she was aware of was his business and the trips that he took which involved more than just work. It was sad that after Angie had been born, after he had turned his back on her, Taylor had lost interest in the man.

“What are we doing?” she asked him now, looking at everything from a whole new perspective.

She was holding him back from leading the life he was so obviously in love with and he was holding her back from completely being with Jordan. Maybe it was time to let each other go, time to set each other free.

“What are you talking about?” he asked.

“You and I, our marriage, our life together; what are we doing?”

He hesitated as though he did not understand her question.

“We’re unhappy, we barely get along, we’re never together as man as wife should be, we don’t love each other and neither one of us is trying to save this marriage. We both want out but neither one of us is brave enough to admit that.”