Chapter 7

Chapter 7

“Your cell phone is ringing,” Ted, one of my colleagues said.

I picked it up and said a casual, “Hello,”

“Jordan?”

Taylor’s concerned voice had me jerking up in alertness.

“Is something wrong?” I asked uneasily.

“No, nothing is wrong. I’m caught up in a meeting and I didn’t know who else to call,” Taylor said.

“Is there anything I can do for you?”

“Yeah, would you mind picking Angie up from school?”

It was weird that I would feel so honored for Taylor to trust me with the care of her child. “I wouldn’t mind at all,” I said.

I was pleased she'd feel comfortable enough to ask me for help.

“I know it’s not part of your job, it’s that she trusts you and you two get along. I don’t have a babysitter yet…” Taylor continued trying to explain herself.

“Taylor, its fine, it is no trouble at all.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, now please give me the address and tell me what time she leaves school.”

Taylor gave me the details and shortly after hanging up, I got up to leave. “Ted, I’m putting you in charge. Something just came up and I have to go.”

“Okay,” Ted said.

I walked out, leaving him working on the floor of Angie’s bedroom.

**

“Where is mommy?” Angie asked when she got in my jeep.

“Your mommy is caught up in a very important meeting.”

“I like your car,” she said after putting on the seatbelt.

“Thanks. Now, do you want to go straight home or do you want to grab some ice cream.”

Angie excitedly said, “Ice cream. I want ice cream.”

“Ice cream it is then,” I said, then drove out of the parking lot of the fancy little school.

**

“Okay, now that your homework is done, you’ve showered and had dinner, I think we should get you to bed.” I told Angie later on that evening.

Taylor had called to say she’d be running late and since I had not made any plans that night, I had reassured her that I didn’t mind spending time with Angie.

She was a wonderful kid and the more time I spent with her, the deeper I found myself growing attached. Henry was an old fool for neglecting his family. He didn’t know what he had, that was probably why he didn’t care.

“Will you read me a story?” Angie asked.

I reached for a book from the shelf filled with children's books and flipped through the pages. After tucking in the little girl, I began the story.

I watched Angie while I read and her vigor and joy encouraged me to read on. Half an hour later, she got drowsy and an hour later, she was sound asleep.

I kissed her forehead and pulled the covers warmly over her and then dimmed the lights before I walked out of the room.

I didn’t want to think of the effect Angie was having on me and since I couldn’t sit around and do nothing, I went to the bedroom I had been working on for over a week now and resumed with my work, while I waited for Taylor to come home.