Chapter 9

Chapter 9

“Jenny!” I said in surprise when Jenny walked through the living room.

The set of new seats had not yet been delivered, though the walls had been repainted with a warmer and much more homely glow. A large chandelier hang in the middle of the room, giving it the luxurious effect Taylor had wanted.

“The seats look a little out of place but the rest of the room is magnificent,” Jenny said as she took in the work my team and I had done so far.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, wondering how she'd even known the address of the penthouse.

“Tracy gave me the address and I thought I could surprise you since I hardly ever see you anymore,” she said, then walked over to me and hugged me.

After playing with Angie, helping her take a bath, having dinner, reading her a book and making sure she'd fallen asleep, I had gone to relax in the living room, waiting for the Langford's so that I could leave. The last person I had expected to walk through that door had been Jenny.

“I'm sorry,” I apologized for my absence.

“What are you still doing here? It's half past ten. I thought you get off at five or six,” Jenny said.

“I'm babysitting.”

“This woman has got you babysitting? Isn't working on her penthouse enough? Can't she hire a professional babysitter? Or get herself a nanny?” Jenny asked.

That conversation was taking place at the wrong time and in the wrong place. “Jenny, I'm doing this because I want to,” I said and Jenny looked at me in confusion.

“Come on, we're leaving. We just need to get you some liquor,” she said with laughter and at that moment, Angie walked into the room holding her teddy in her arms.

“Jay-Jay?” she said after looking at the unfamiliar face of the other woman in the room.

“Angie, honey, did we wake you?” I asked as I took Angie in my arms and kissed her cheeks.

“I had a bad dream,” Angie said and I turned to look at Jenny.

“Jay-Jay?” Jenny asked in a mocking tone.

“This is not the place, Jenny,” I told her and she sat down on the couch.

“Get her back to bed. I'll wait for you,” she said.

“Are you leaving?” Angie asked in fear and I was quick to reassure her.

“No, honey. I'm not going anywhere until your mommy comes back home.”

I walked back down the hallway to her bedroom, while holding her in my arms and put her back in bed. Once she was tucked in, I sat beside her until she fell asleep.

A while later, I went back to the living room and found Jenny pacing back and forth.

“Is she paying you extra to do this?” Jenny asked.

“The only reason I'm here is because I want to be.”

“So you're blowing me off to baby-sit for your boss?”

I closed my hand over Jenny's wrist and gently sat her down. “There is something I need to tell you.”

Jenny raised her eyebrows in curiosity.

“The mother of that child you just saw is called Taylor Walker. She and I, we have a past. We went to high school together. I haven't seen her in over five years.” I didn't know why I failed to mention that our relationship had been one of the deepest relationship’s I had ever encountered.