Chapter 13

Chapter 13

“How are you feeling, Mrs. Walker?”

Ivy Walker had woken up and was talking now. She went on and on about Angie and Taylor and I understood her joy. It must have felt great to not only regain Taylor, but a grandchild as well. I loved seeing her that way.

Mr. Walker was also very pleased that his family was back home and it was a relief to see Taylor's return was making her parents so happy.

I had not seen Taylor or Angie for almost a week and it was hard trying to force myself to get used to it because I missed them both terribly. I had managed to visit Mrs. Walker almost every day after giving up the project but I always chose the hours during which I knew Taylor would not show up.

“You ask that question everyday,” Ivy complained now.

I helped her sit up and sat on the bed beside her. Mr. Walker was silently seated on a chair at the far end of the bed. He was a man of a few words but he had always displayed his fondness for me.

“Would you like me to get you something?” I asked as I closed my hands over Ivy's.

“Get me some real food. This hospital junk is tasteless.”

I laughed and saw Mr. Walker snicker, but it was a relief that Ivy was healthy and awake.

“We'll get you that once you get out of here.”

“Have you met this husband of Taylor's?” Ivy asked.

I didn’t know what to say. Henry Langford was a topic that had managed to come up almost every time I went to see Ivy. She complained about him all the time, saying he had never made the time to go meet Taylor's parents.

“I told you that I have,” I reminded her and she went off complaining again.

Mr. Walker shrugged his shoulders and started reading a newspaper as I listened to Ivy going on and on about how he was old enough to be Taylor's father. “I can tell she's not happy in that marriage,” she said, and continued to rant about how happy Taylor had been when we’d been together.

I always reminded her that it was my fault things had ended up the way they had but Ivy never listened. She was talking about it now when Angie ran into the room, surprising everyone.

She saw me first and came running into my arms and I was so happy to see her that I did not realize Taylor wasn't very far behind.

“Grandma!” Angie said with a child's excitement and hugged Ivy.

She was so energetic she went and climbed on to her grandfather's lap and started playing with his sideburns, which made Mr. Walker laugh with joy.

“Mommy, Jay-Jay is here,” Angie yelled, but our gazes had locked since she’d walked into the room.

“I wasn't expecting you until later on,” Ivy said.

“I wanted to see Jay-Jay,” Angie said from where she was seated and I smiled.

“I was going to bring her over to your place after leaving the hospital,” Taylor said directly to me.

“Come sit here darling,” Ivy said to Taylor. She hesitated when Ivy insisted she seat right next to me on the side of the bed, but then sat down anyway. “You two kids are still not getting along?” Ivy asked as she took both our hands and united them in hers.

“We are,” Taylor said, a little bit too awkwardly.

“Well, I hope you work out whatever it is that is troubling you,” Ivy said.