Treat 'Em Like They Wanna Be Treated.

July 15, 1990

Tiana

Love struck me out of nowhere...

Ever since Donald's little runaway from home, everything took a big spiral.

He had a job at the department store which he hated but only continued working there because he wanted to support Dianna and the baby. A couple months after, he told me he was going to quit because he really wanted to pursue music. Me, being the logical one, tried to convince him not to do so because there was a huge chance that this wouldn't work, but as always, he did his own thing and told me "not to worry about it". As for the vampire- I mean, Dianna, there was a huge rumor going around that she was cheating on Donald with an older man, James. A tall, lightskin, hard bodied figure. Dalvin and I attempted to warn him about her but what can I say? He just didn't want to listen. Donald finally came to his senses after a rather strange phone conversation he had with her. He told me he called her one night, asking about how the baby was, but he heard moaning, groaning, and slapping sounds over the phone. I know right? Ain't that some shit. One week later he found out that Dianna was never actually pregnant. I guess that really did it for him because after that, he and the boys went up to New York to get a record deal and he landed one. That's the last i've heard of him. He obviously wasn't wasting no time.

I guess that leaves me.

Here I lay, all alone in my bed in my silk pajamas.

Thoughts began to arouse in my mind about Donald and them. I practically grew up with those boys and if they blow up to be really famous, which I know they will, then I would hate for all the fame, the fortune, and the glory to get the their heads. I know them and they were basically raised in church, now that they have they're freedom away from that, I know this is gonna turn ugly. I don't want to sound like I don't believe in them or anything, I just don't want them to turn out like those celebrities who's careers ended in a trainwreck because of the drugs, alcohol, and the constant women. I guess the best we can do is hope that they'll make the right decisions.

The house phone rang, interrupting my thoughts. I got up out of my bed, put on my slippers, and hurrying downstairs to the family room.

"Hello?"

"What's the 411, honeybun?" A young voice answered, sounding very familiar.

"Dalvin give me the phone!" A voice I instantly recognized as Donald called.
All I heard was shuffling in the background.

"Owww D, you always hitting people!"

"Shut up fool."

"Umm, hello?" I attempted to get his attention.

"Oh yeah, hey T." I missed hearing his deep, sensual voice.

"Heyyy Donny"

"You know you don't have to call me that anymore, everyone calls me DeVante now."

"Well, I'm not everyone." I stated matter-of-factly.

"I hate that ugly name"

"I think it's cute, you should keep it because you're my little Donny." I smiled as if he could see me. I honestly liked his name, I called him that since we were kids.

"I'm not little. Anyway, I called you because..." he paused for a short time. "Why did I call you again?"

"You better know why you called her, shoot, running up my phone bill!", My mom eavesdropped through the other line.

"Mom how long have you been listening?"

"Only the entire time."

"Mom can you please hang up? You don't ever see me snooping on you and Dad's conversations."

"Ok fine." My mom hung up.

"You called because you wanted some phone sex" Dalvin interrupted.

"Dalvin I swear to god-" Donald cut himself off.

"Uhhh uhhhhh daddy fuck me harder" Dalvin moaned from across the room.

"Dalvin shut the fuck up, don't make me come over there and smack them ugly eyebrows off yo face."

"My eyebrows are sexy, you just mad because Tiana ain't giving you none."

"Ignore him. Anyway, I called because I want you to turn your TV on to VH1."

"Why?" I questioned.

"You'll see why."

I grabbed the remote off the couch and turn the TV on.

"Treat 'em like they wanna be treated, you should treat 'em riiiiiiiight"

My eyes lit up with pride when I saw Cedric, Joel, Donald, and little Dalvin singing in white suits

My eyes lit up with pride when I saw Cedric, Joel, Donald, and little Dalvin singing in white suits. I noticed how K-Ci kept blocking Donald's face, he always wanted that attention.

"Baby yeah, baby yeahhhh"

K-Ci and Donald sang, but Donald's voice never sounded like that, it didn't sound like him in a way.

"Donald, I know that's not you singing "baby yeah".

"You're right, it isn't. The director didn't want JoJo to be in front of the camera for some reason so he made me lip synch his part." He explained.

"That's really messed up, but anyway, I'm so proud of you country boys, yall really gonna make it big."

"Yeah, I miss you ugly."

"I miss you too ugly, when are you coming back to Charlotte?" I pouted.

"Next week we get a break so I'll come down south."

"Donny?"

"Yeah?"

"Can you promise me something?"

"What is it?"

"Can you promise me that even with the fame, the fortune, the rumors, the glory, the fans, the cars, and the women, that you won't forget where you come from? Can you promise me that you won't get too ahead yourself and stay humble? Most importantly can you promise me that even after everything, we'll still remain friends?"

There was a short, comfortable silence for a moment before he answered.

"Of course, I promise."

I felt a little relieved after he said that. I fell in love with the little nerdy, quirky church boy from Charlotte who was a musical genius and didn't even know it. I fell in love with the boy who didn't give two fucks about school because all he wanted to do was play music. I fell in love with shy, timid, insecure yet reckless boy who wasn't afraid to take chances. I would hate to lose him to the harsh realities of the music industry.

"One more thing, have you been taking your meds? Don't play me boy, I know when you're lying." I placed one hand on my hip."

"Yes ma'am." He said in a low tone. He is so childish.

"Alright, bye Donald."

"Bye, love you." I froze at the last two words he said. He always showed affection but he never said that to me before and I didn't know how to react.

"I- me too" Shit, I blew it didn't I?