When It Rains «2:3»

Merlin's eyes were closed.

He stood up straight, his head held high. He had always disregarded his low status when self respect was involved. Now was no different.
Arthur knew this, and looked on with pride filling his heart.

Morgause was stood at the back of the room, by the large fireplace.

One guard was holding Arthur and the other Merlin while Morgause stoked the large, crackling fire which was heating the whole banquet hall. She carefully stuck a long silver poker into the embers.

When she was finished, she straightened up and smiled as she walked towards them.

"I've been looking forward to this," she said softly.

Arthur didn't take his eyes off Merlin. Merlin kept his closed.

"As you know the drill by now," Morgause continued, "I expect Merlin won't have to scream for too long before you answer my first question."

Arthur tried to block out her mocking voice, but it seemed to reverberate around the room and inside his head. Merlin made no move to show he had heard Morgause.

"Not playing along today, eh?" Morgause laughed, walking between Merlin and Arthur, slowly and hungrily. "I'm sure we can soon change that."

Neither man moved or spoke.
Morgause's lip curled.

She walked back to the fire and pulled the poker out of the flames. The pointed end was white hot.
"Now," she said, looking at Arthur. "The dungeons. I believe there is a secret network of passageways underneath them, into the heart of the rock on which Camelot was built. Legend has it Uther locked the last dragon away there," the witch's eyes sparkled as she spoke. "What do you know of this, Arthur?"

Arthur saw that Merlin had opened his eyes at last, and they were wide and fearful. Their eyes met for a moment and the prince's servant shook his head a fraction of an inch. Arthur closed his eyes to signal understanding.

"I'm afraid I don't know anything about these tunnels, Morgause," he said.

"I was hoping you would say that..." Morgause replied as she pressed the smoking poker to Merlin's forehead.