09. The daily grind of an introvert

"It's easy to fool the eye but it's hard to fool the heart"

▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~

The pain on Matt's cheek was wilting away like a dead flower, but the strident broken voice-recorder that sat next to him seemed to be eternal. The grating voice that pierced his ear lobes was like the BBC reporter who appeared on TV everytime you switched it on.

After barely making it out alive from the scandal Matt had evoked, Ciara decided to stay the night at his place after a heated argument of who would stay where, which ended up in Ciara staying and not to mention boosting Matt's ego, not that she cared anyway. She was more than jubilant for being given an invitation openly.

"A broken nose. Surprising not," Ciara grunted.

"No offence C, but you sound like a pig," Matt said amusedly. The intensifying glare sent his way repressed the tilt broadening in his lips, replacing it with a pretense somber look.

"Better," she said iratedly. "What were you-"

"Thinking? It doesn't matter in the end. The job is done. I'm out," he said coolly.

"Wipe that shit-eating grin from your dope face before I whack your ass till red angry marks appear Matt," she warned pressing the ice pack even harder on his cheek. He hissed in pain and so did his smirk take its leave.

"A temper you have there girl" he mumbled sulkily.

"Says the boy who has nothing better in life than to sulk inside this god-forsaken insect-infested hell-sighted house."

"Fancy your vivid imaginations, C."

"Hold it," she said handing over the ice pack to Matt and got out of the bed.

"Where are you off to?" he shouted at her retreating figure.

"To the cemetery," she shouted back making his scoff. She returned with a beer bottle in one hand and nachos in the other.

"Where did you get that from?" he asked curiously. "The last time I checked the fridge was...almost empty."

Ciara had named Matt's refrigerator as a 'cemetery' because of the variety of food stored in it. Beer and flies were residents of the fridge. A wonderful sight she had explained him the first time she opened the fridge.

Since then, Ciara had never forgotten to buy food before stepping inside Matt's house since he had refused to store food in his refrigerator.

"Figure that yourself," she said getting onto the bed next to Matt.

He reached for a nacho but she swatted his hand away, "Not fair. Give me that." He reached for the nacho packet again but she raised it high so he couldn't reach.

After a world war of fighting for the nachos, she found herself laying below him. His elbows were propped on either side of her, preventing him from crushing her. The nachos and the beer bottle were no where to be found, resulting in both losing but it didn't seem to matter to Ciara anymore. She stared at him like he was an angelic sculpture gifted to her.