06. Say 'Bye LA'

"Distance is but a myth for two in love"

▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~▪~

"This is the final boarding call for passengers booked on flight 34B to New York. Please proceed to gate 3 immediately."

Matt gritted his teeth, his hands balled into fists. His knuckles were turning an angry red. He was looking through the huge glass window of the business lounge at the runway, his eyes transfixed at the plane ready for departure. Yet, his mind was nowhere near leaving.

A hand squeezed his shoulder lightly, "we might miss the flight."

He turned around to be met with Ciara's apprehensive gaze. She was a colleague of his, working and fighting alongside him in a gang of seven people.

He nodded curtly. He looked around for Edward and found him busy typing something in his phone, sitting on a leather couch in the far corner of the lounge.

"Good to go?" Matt asked the rest of the gang. There was a total of six exclusive of him, all busy in their own worlds. Jasper and Kilter were in the middle of a fist fight. Lilian was concentrating on the black nail polish she was applying on her pinky finger, she always found it a challenge to colour her bitten fingers, especially the last one. Audrey was talking on the phone, her voice soft and serious.

They stopped and stared at him.

"What?" Matt asked, irately.

"Thought you were planning on staying the night." Audrey shrugged, disconnecting the call and got up to leave. She walked past him to the gateway and the rest of the gang followed. Edward stayed back to leave with Matt.

"I called him," Edward said, softly so that no one could hear. "He said the funeral is today at four in the evening."

Matt looked at him questioningly, "we need to be there."

Edward shook his head, "no. It isn't your fault."

Matt opened his mouth to protest but they were already past the gateway and inside the plane. He looked at the closing door in dismay and after giving a good glare to the welcoming air hostess who looked at him perplexed, he took his seat in the business class.

"I have no idea why we are bound to rot inside this fucking Hell," Audrey grumbled, loud enough for the whole crew to hear. She rested her legs on top of the seat infront of her. No one said anything. Whenever the lot was on a mission, they could use one of the private jets of the organization, but this time they were using a public one.

It was a long journey to New York and Matt knew it wouldn't be a good one neither.

*

"You'll be late," Britney grumbled. She was checking herself in the bathroom mirror, adjusting her messy bun. The women who had occupied the other booths had already left, but seems like Belle found an eternity in her one.

"I know," Belle grumbled, shouting from one of the booths. "This is a weird toilet."

"And that's what you call a disabled one," she replied. At that moment, a formally dressed lady entered the bathroom. She seemed to have spilt something on her skirt and was busy washing it off. Britney gulped and was debating over her decision of signalling Belle to not come out. As if Satan was right beside them,Belle came out of the toilet with a satisfied sigh.

She stopped as the lady turned around. Belle's hand twisted wierdly, and she smiled at the woman who returned the gesture. She walked with a lopsided gait to Britney who silently helped her walk outside by holding her hand.