Chapter Twenty Four

<><><><><><><>

Dedication: Mahomieaffection for the awesome cover on the side! It's awesome. :)

Recap:

I love you.

Shock coursed through my body. Wow. I loved him. Hayley Larson, loved Colin Denver. I felt like laughing because the whole idea was ridiculous. I didn't even know I was capable of love. I certainly don't think he would return the feeling. Or the three words.

So, instead of telling him what I should have, I ignored it and kissed him with all I had.

<><><><><><><>

"It started when my father was murdered."

I was telling my story. Again. Surprisingly, this is the second time this week. I never thought I would tell anyone. I couldn't comprehend how refreshing it felt to let it out. Once I spoke the words I needed to, to my ex best friend, it felt easier to speak them again to Colin. I felt relieved knowing that someone was there to just listen and be there for me.

I didn't ever think this would be possible.

Currently, we were perched on the lounge in Colin's room. We faced each other. My legs stretched out across his lap, our fingers entwined. I couldn't stand to stare into his electric blue eyes, so I focused on a loose thread hanging from my denim shorts.

"My father was an innocent and kind man. I cannot find one reason as to why anyone would want to hurt him. But they did. And I witnessed the entire thing."

I peered through the gap of the door. His lips were parted. He was trying to communicate with me. I was so focused on the fact that he was still alive to understand what he was trying to say.

Now that I thought back to the way his lips curved and how wide his eyes were. I think I know what he was trying to say.

Run.

I squeezed my eyes shut, attempting to block out the images that have haunted me for so long. Hours and hours at night, they used to bombard my dreams. Only recently have I been able to remove myself from these flashbacks and block them out. A shudder ran down my spine as I thought back to the night that ruined everything. I swallowed, unable to stop the next image from flashing through my mind.

The fingers of the killer tightened around my father's throat

Suddenly, Colin's hand squeezed mine, drawing me back to reality. I shook my head slightly as I let the images fade from my brain. I tilted my head back and gazed into his eyes, a small smile on my face. He smiled back reassuringly. I was starting to feel glad that I was confiding in him. Who knew that this angry, delinquent boy could be so helpful and understanding.

I didn't realise how much we could relate to each other. Okay, his Dad wasn't exactly murdered in front of his eyes, but he also bottled things up and didn't feel comfortable sharing. So it was nice that we both have found a common ground with each other. Which ironically is the very thing that isolates us from everyone else.

"I was just out with a few friends, like usual." I continued, dropping my gaze again, trying to keep the images of blood from appearing. "It was a typical night for us, movies, food at the diner, hooking up with Gabe when no one was looking..."

Colin's jaw clenched briefly, but I continued anyway. That was my past life. Although Gabe entered it again fleetingly, nothing has changed the way I feel about Colin. If anything it has just showed me how strongly I do care for this boy.