CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

Betty

Esme is a task-maker with her sergeant drill dance moves, and two second water breaks. I'm half-dead and in need of Finn's magical fingers. Every muscle in my body burns as I throw it in awkward angles, my bare feet blistering from the shiny floor. The music pounds against the walls and vibrates around my body.

"Eyes on the mirror," Esme shouts through the microphone attached to her ear, pumping her arms back and forth.

I copy the movement, sliding my feet in time with the beat. My body is drenched in sweat, the hoody I was wearing now on the floor as I rock my crop top with a built in bra. The calories on my sports watch going up by ten every few seconds.

"Your left foot is out of time. Sort it  out," Esme lets me know.

I'm trying my best.

I focus on her body in the mirror, following every movement to the best of my ability. Two and a half hours we've been practicing and it's starting to wear on me. I flick my gaze to Finn who's leant against the wall with his arms crossed over his chest, sending silent evils in Esme's direction.

Esme stops and cuts the music, drowning us in deafening silence, apart from my exhausted gasps. "We have a three hour gap. Are you taking this seriously? Because, it won't be me embarrassed by my performance at the TCA's."

Teen Choice Awards.

I frown, gripping my waist to try to catch my breath. "We've barely stopped for a water break. You're pushing me too hard."

Esme grabs a towel that hangs near the mirrors and scrubs at her face. "You're a performer now. No more pussy footing around. I get results. You either like it or leave. I don't have time to waste."

I shake out my hands, feeling the blood rushing to my head. "If that's the way it has to be, then come on. Let's do it."

The music starts again and I pick up from where we left, not feeling myself. It's too warm in here and the small amount of air conditioning they have whizzing around the room is ridiculous. I stumble to the left and then correct myself, causing the other male dancers to flood towards me.

"I need to stop," I wipe my forehead, my eyesight going blurry.

Tucker, one of the lead male dancers comes to my rescue, keeping his arm steady around my waist. "Give us five," he shouts.

Finn is at my side within two strides, combing his hands all over my body in concern. "She's ridiculous. Who does she think she is?"

I feel dog tired all of a sudden. "It's too hot to be working out this hard," I glance at Esme. "I'm done here."

"Fine," she flicks her fingers at me. "Just don't come crying to me when you mess up."

"I'm not going to mess up. I know the routine, and if I do? So be it." I say with false confidence.

"Okay," she switches off the music and pulls out her phone. "I'll let Jade know you're leaving."

I try not to let the disappointment in her voice affect my confidence. You can't please everyone.

I give Finn a wary grin when he grabs onto my arm, taking my hoody and handbag from the floor. "Thanks."

He winks. "You got it, gorgeous."

Gorgeous. My heart likes it.