CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

Unedited 💓

Betty

I don't want to believe that my dream about Shawn is true. But, the more I mull it over in my mind, the more vivid everything becomes. Finn is on the phone to the police, telling me there's something important he needs to discuss once he finishes. It's hard to get my head around the fact that a guy I classed as a best friend at one point in my life wants to hurt me.

Finn chucks his mobile phone somewhere on the sofa and runs a stressed hand over his forehead, glancing at me sat across from him on the armchair. "I wasn't going to tell you this until I was sure the police were confident it's where the IP address was found. I'm right in thinking that Shawn's mum owns a bakery, right?"

"Owned," I respond, trying my best to swallow with a dry mouth. "They ended up closing the bakery so she could work from home. It got too expensive to keep the business open."

Finn nods. "That makes sense. When did they close up for good?"

I try my hardest to think back to the conversation Shawn and I had about it. "Last year, I think."

"Okay, so the IP address from the troll who's been harassing you comes from the bakery. Is it open as anything else?"

I shake my head. "No," I feel an overwhelming sense of unease. "Shawn's family own the building. They didn't want to rent it out unless his mum decided to set up business again."

"So, Shawn has access to the building?"

"I'd assume so, yes," I wrap my arms around my bent legs. "What does this mean?"

Finn gets up from the sofa and starts pacing back and forth. "It means he's dangerous, and you need to stay the hell away from him."

"You think Shawn's the stalker?"

Finn's eyes grow dull as he stares off into the distance. "Yeah, I'm ninety-nine percent sure. Those sweets he sent over in LA, does he have access to the recipe?"

I can't help but panic over the drugs I've had in my body because of him. "Shawn sometimes helps out and bakes with his mum."

"I'm gonna fucking kill him," he growls,  tearing out of the room.

I climb out of my chair, stumbling after Finn, finding him fighting with his shoes near the front door. "What're you doing? Finn you can't leave."

Finn stamps his foot on the ground when his trainer doesn't comply. "You need to stay upstairs. I'll alarm up so you're safe, but I want you to turn the lights off and lock my bedroom door. I'll be back as soon as I've found the lowlife and ripped him a new one."

I reach for his arm and tug him back towards me. "There's no way I'm letting you anywhere near the nutcase. Let the police handle it."

"No," he wrenches from my hold, seeming in an almost trance. "Do as I say."

"You'll end up in prison," I shout, needing for him to listen to me. I can't live without him.

Finn reaches for his coat, slings it on without a care and then storms to the alarm system. "Betty, upstairs now."

"No, I want to go with you."