CHAPTER FORTY-THREE

The hospital door of the private room my dad paid over the odds for opens wide. I'm in between dosing off when my parents walk in, mama aiming right for the bed. I can't move much with my stiff neck holding me down, but that doesn't mean she doesn't push her way in to get a good look at me.

"Oh, my Betty," she strokes my cheek. "Are you okay? What did the doctor say? They won't tell me a thing."

Finn squeezes my hand from his space near the bed. "They sent her down for a CT scan earlier and everything came back clear. She's showing signs of concussion, so they're keeping her here overnight."

"What's in the IV?" Dad says, gently moving mama to the side so he can plant a kiss on my forehead.

"Morphine," I say, smiling a little. "The nectar of the Gods."

Dad covers his mouth, eyes lost in thought. "The police have Shawn in custody. Your brothers are down there now, seeing what's being done with him. Levi's threatened to rip his organs out."

"I know the feeling," Finn mumbles, growing more agitated by the second.

Mama gives him a half-smile, tottering towards him in her heels. "Would you like a hug?"

Finn nods, turning into her embrace. "You must hate me," he says, and mama frowns at me.

Finn's blaming himself.

"Never," she edges back, so her fingers are crushing his shoulders. "We are so grateful that you were there."

Finn looks at me. "I should have been more careful. I knew how dangerous Shawn was and I left you in the house."

"Alarmed up. No one knew that Shawn was going to break in. It was out of everyone's control," I reply, hating to see him beat himself up.

I feel his fingers gripping onto my wrist, knowing he doesn't believe me. Too caught up in his own head. But, I know he'll come back to me. When I'm out of here and life goes back to normal, it'll all be one horrible dream.

"I love you," he whispers, staring into my eyes. "I'm so sorry for not protecting you."

I shake my head. "There's nothing to apologise for. Stop it."

Finn bends down, smoothing his lips over my cheek until he meets my ear. "Seeing you unconscious is something that will haunt me forever."

I lift my arm, feeling the back of my head twinge. My fingers rubbing up and down the top of his back. "Please don't let it. I'm okay. I'm still here."

"Yeah," his voice cracks, "you're never leaving my sight again."

I laugh. "So, you're going to keep me captive?"

Finn edges back, his eyes shining. "Don't tempt me."

It hurts me to see him upset. My heart squeezes in my chest. "I wish I was in your big comfy bed right now."

Finn strokes my face, expression tender. "I wish for that too. Tomorrow, honey. I'll look after you so good."

I close my eyes and open my mouth a fraction to let our breath mix together when he kisses me sweetly on the mouth. I smile, "I know you will."

"I," he grits his jaw, seeming to be in a war with himself. "I hate the thought of you scared. And, you must have been petrified. I wish I let you come with me. Then none of this would have happened."

"I won't remember a lot of it. Seeing your face outside is all I do, and hearing the alarm come on before I walked out of the door and everything went black."