Chapter 07: An Ambush [Master, Accept this Disciple!]

CHaPTeR 07:
AmbUsH
[mAstEr, AccEpt this discipLE!]

I

"ALRIGHT, JUST what the Hell was that?!" The first to question what happened was Krull.

Mikhael really couldn't tell — at most, he expected the shorter W.E.R.P. agent to start inquiring instead. "What was with that destructive power? How did the guy disappear? What was the mechanism behind that attack just now? Was it some kind of an air-compressed bullet that sucked in the air and exploded the moment it touched the target?"

"..." The Half-blood's body trembled. It felt like he was just a harmless newborn hamster placed right in front of the open jaws of a terrifying python. 'Slow down a bit, will you?'

"Why is there no longer any trace left of him? Where is the ash? Why was there no sound? Was it psychic? Explain it right now!" The questions and demands just kept piling up from his mouth as Mikhael frowned and cursed inwardly. 'Damned mortals and their curiosity!'

He could feel an oncoming headache as every single pair of eyes present cornered him into a dead end.

Vampires turned into ash upon their death. This was common knowledge.

Generally speaking, even their clothes would become burned to ash, something that actually had a logical and scientific explanation behind — despite its absurdity. From Mikhael's understanding, vampires were... Beings that used blood instead of mana to fight. Their control over blood was so perverse that some vampires can even turn it into air to step on as if it were a solid ground. It was no different than magic or spells. If they were too lazy to do this, it would also be enough to just use their blood to control gravity of their bodies — and achieve the same goal of walking in air.

The older they get, the stronger their control becomes.

But what's the source of this unreasonable control over blood?

In Mikhael's opinion — it's their second heart. Virtual heart that doesn't exist in the same plane as three-dimensional objects, but was strongly connected to the physical manifestation beating inside their chests.

And once a vampire dies, that heart goes off.

Well, to be more specific, it explodes with all the remaining energy stored inside. The same energy that can make vampires run around the entire continent in just a few hours. It's not like killing a vampire was a silent job. First of all, blood that they shed before their bodies are destroyed doesn't turn into ash — so it has to be cleaned up properly. If you don't kill them immediately — and vampires are almost never killed immediately — some of it is bound to spill.

There's also a slight tremor in the air around their bodies as they disappear into ash — but its area of effect isn't much. At most, it's just five centimeters from the surface of their skin. However, anything that happens to be in that area would get incinerated into ash as well — it could be said that destroying their second heart is like setting off an explosion inside their bodies.

It's the reason why Hunters prefer to use long-ranged weapons, and would never engage in a fist-to-fist fight with a vampire. As for fights between two vampires — they usually end with one vampire ripping out the heart of another. And to be honest, if a vampire is skilled enough to take out the beating heart of another vampire and suppress it easily — they're also more than capable to subdue this sudden surge of heat that incinerates their bodies.

But that's not the case with Armaments — some Armaments might even absorb that excess energy and strengthen themselves. And as for what Mikhael did just now — it was neither of these two things. After all, not even ash was left of that guy — defying all logic and common sense.