Chapter 08: Drink my Blood [I Trust you, so...]

chAptEr 08;
drink mY bLOOd
[I trUst YOU, sO...]

I

    MIKHAEL DESPERATELY sighed; he just wanted to have a nap. Was it so heaven-defying to have a nap during the day that the skies itself decided to send a horde of blood-thirsty vampires just to get in his way? The Half-blood doesn't even recall when was the last time that he sighed so many times in a single day. Even his vitality got sapped away with each turbid breath he exhaled at this moment!

"What do you think? Can you fight?" Amelia decided to ignore Krull's conspiracy theories for now and instead turned to Mikhael.

It's not that she won't be able to protect this guy if they really had to fight.

It was just — how to say it — having always been protected by someone and now suddenly facing a situation where the tables have turned... She might mess up and leave the strongest enemy for Mikhael to deal with. Or something like it. Amelia already knew that Mikhael held a grudge because she put him into a spotlight. She also realized that he wants to slack off, but that might be impossible right now, so—

"It's not about whether I can or cannot, I simply have no other choice if I want to stay alive!" He could only shake his head in defeat. He also didn't want to fight. But centuries of battle experience made Mikhael unable to count on these unreliable teammates.

It would be for the best if Mikhael could sleep for the next few centuries. Perhaps, that way, his body could heal a bit more.

"Then let's just run." Ethan interrupted their conversation.

"Run?" Mikhael was confused for a moment before coming to sudden realization. This guy also wants to see who's behind this mess and wants to bait them. But... Run where? They are completely surrounded.

"Should I clear the way?" Amelia acted like a good support and pointed her gun in one direction. Mikhael's heart thumped.

'Wrong.' There was something wrong with Amelia at the moment.

"Madam Second, leave this to us!" Rykee and his team offered to act, but she shook her head.

"Say, can you help out just this once?" Mikhael's eyes didn't show any emotion as he faced her question and after a moment of silence, he nodded. "Do you happen to carry around a sword or something?" His eyes were on her pouch and she faintly raised her eyebrow. Well, mysterious pouches that can shrink stuff and store things inside were common nowadays. To spell-casters and humans, they were the same as void to vampires.

"You want to use "that" on the battlefield?" Although her voice was solemn when she asked, her eyes were full of stars. Ethan merely watched their exchange with a deep gaze. Even he had noticed something off about this woman.

"I have no choice, my gun is useless at the moment and I can't go for prolonged fights, so..." Mikhael traced his finger across his gun somewhat regretfully, it appeared like he really didn't mind Amelia putting him in the spotlight again.

'Very well. Let's see what's going on, two can play this game!' Before he came to Eden, it was such a simple mission; Mikhael just needed to shoot someone and he would have had a vacation for the next few months, years even — since he was planning to go into another so-called hibernation. Mikhael didn't even need blood for that matter, in fact — hibernations were better when one was drained of all blood. All vampires could sleep for prolonged periods of time without having to drink blood, and there were two types of such dormant sleeps.

The first one was called "Eternal Dream".

It was somewhat akin to a long period they would just sleep through in order to recover from injuries or simply because they were bored. Vampires easily get tired of the endless flow of time and choose to rest. During that period, they don't need to drink any blood — but would still be in danger in case someone decided to attack them. Since they could awaken only after someone fed them with blood, crushing their hearts in this state was a pretty easy thing to do.