Chapter Seven

As Derrick entered his room, his eyes locked on the drawer that held the box that held Jenny. She had stopped screaming for him thankfully before Max and Sophie had arrived, but he hadn't heard a thing since. "Jenny?" He called as gently as he could, hoping for a response from the human. But when he didn't get one he hurriedly yanked the drawer open, sending the box falling forward which made him cringe, waiting for Jenny to curse at him. But again, there was nothing. 

Once he peeled back the tape he slowly opened the box with a deep frown, his dark green eyes widening in horror. Jenny's head was lobbed to one side, her breathing shallow and ragged. Then it hit him. He barely left any room for her to breathe! "Oh, shit." He grumbled. It felt like he's been saying that a lot more since he brought the teen down with him.

"Hey, Derrick?! What' taking so long?!" Max's voice called from the top of the stairs and Derrick's whole body tensed as he turned his gaze back to Jenny.

"I'm so sorry about this." he whispered as he stuffed her into the pocket inside of his shirt. 

"Sorry about what? You know we both have the same hearing ability, right?" Max said with a snicker and approached his friend with a smug grin.

"I know," Derrick mumbled in a mostly sarcastic tone as he quickly thought up a lie. "I've just...spent so much time around humans lately that I completely forgot."

"You always have been a scatterbrain." Max chuckled and lightly slapped Derrick on the back. "I'm starving, where's your little bug?"

As if on cue, he felt movement against his chest and smiled. "Oh, I was just bringing her downstairs." He reached into his pocket, lifting out the tiny teen with a wide grin.

Jenny had finally come to, her head pounding and the loud voices of two male giants only made it worse. Wait...two? That must be who Derrick's friend is. She heard him muttering about it in his sleep when she woke up in the middle of the night. Then she heard the deeper voice of the two question a bug. A bug? What does he mean 'bug'? 

Giant digits suddenly engulfed her in a fleshy prison and she groaned, a sick feeling washing over her as she regained her vision in the sudden bright light. Sure enough, two Calinthro's stood before her. One being Derrick, who's hand was grasping her in a loose fist, the other more menacing. She remains silent as she forces herself not to stutter in case Derrick wanted her to talk.

"One like that must not behave very well." The new Calinthro said with a snicker, and it only made Jenny's blood boil. 

"Oh, well, um...she behaves very well actually. A sweet little thing." Derrick responded in a slightly defensive tone, protecting Jenny from the more sadistic demon.

"Oh really? Prove it." Max folded his arms over his chest with an arched brow. "Because for some reason I don't believe you."

Derrick's mind began to race as he started thinking about what he could have Jenny do that wouldn't be too bad. He knew if she didn't listen, Max would try and make him discipline her his way. And his way involved brutality. 

Jenny, however, wasn't going to have any demon think so little of her and turned her chocolate brown eyes up towards Derrick with a fake, yet convincing wide smile. "Master? Is breakfast ready? I'm quite hungry. Of course, unless you don't want me to eat. It's up to you after all!" She kept a bright in cheery tone, though her insides churned in disgust. She had to fight back laughter at the look on both Calinthro's faces.

Derrick blinked in surprise at her tone and words. He saw one of her eyes closed and open again in a wink and he caught on immediately and smirked. "Oh, you can eat I think. You've been very good for me."

Jenny kept the smile on her face as she looked to the second Calinthro with her own smug look, but the look in the eyes of this one was terrifying. Hungry. She had to swallow the lump rising in her throat, just glad he didn't seem to have a human on him. Maybe he didn't have one at all.

With a heavy sigh, Derrick turned his back to Max and made his way down the stairs and to the kitchen. He had Jenny clutched to his chest, and as soon as they entered the kitchen he felt her weight shift in his hand and heard a small gag.

The contents of the plate looked horrid! Organs and other entrails laid about the glass surfaces, even blood was running onto the table! She was forcing herself not to throw up, especially when she saw the plate fit for a human. With the exact same contents. "M-Master?" She stuttered out, gripping fistfuls of Derrick's shirt.

Derrick cringed at the sick tone in her voice. She sounded positively disgusted. But he expected this and turned his dark green orbs to meet her brown ones. "I know, I know. It's just for today. Please, I'll get food for you later."

Max laughed behind him. "You're going to do that? When Sophia doesn't want to eat what I eat, she doesn't eat at all. Which is often." 

Now Jenny spotted the thin, pale human girl on that table that didn't look to be much older than her looking horrified at the bloody mess on the human plate before her. She wasn't sure if she would normally be allowed to talk to other 'pets' without permission so she took a breath. "Master? may I speak with that girl?"

"If Max says it's fine." Derrick chuckled softly and ran his finger over Jenny's soft brown hair. 

"Yeah, whatever. Let the bugs talk while we eat." Max said with a shrug of his shoulders, taking a seat at the giant table and began digging into the meal, much to Sophie and Jenny's horror.

Jenny turned her eyes back up to Derrick as she was lowered onto the hard surface of the table, then looked at Sophie and managed a small, polite smile. So much for this couldn't get any worse.