Chapter Eighteen

~Jenny's P.O.V.~

God, my head is killing me. Derrick really needs to warn me next time he plans on teleporting everywhere. When I opened my eyes, I still couldn't see. The area surrounding me was completely dark, but I could hear heavy breathing from somewhere below me. It almost reminded me of a dog. One of my friends back home had a large Great Dane that I was certain was really a horse when I was younger.

"Mph...what's going on?" I mumble groggily, sitting upright in my place to see I was back in bed. I'll admit, this apartment is great, and I don't have to worry about bills and food, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life as a stupid pet for a demon.

"Oh, Jenny you're awake!" Immediately I recognized Sophie's voice, happy I wasn't going to be alone with a giant. 

"Yeah...my head hurts. Where's Derrick?" Glancing over at the young woman, I was surprised to see that she looked healthier. Not as scared, or pale as she had been when she was in Max's possession. Ugh. Max. If I ever see him again, it'll be too soon.

"He's resting. He was worried about you. You know he's sorry for scaring you right?" A soft 'click' and the lamp beside me was flicked on, Sophie now standing behind me. But then it flicked off again. Then on. Then off.

"First off, what're you doing?" I mumble with a light laugh, turning to look at my friend who looked embarrassed instantly. 

"Oh, it's just...been so long since I've had the chance to be around things my size. Max was...he didn't let me have all these things. A cage was my home." Her voice was sad, and I felt my heart wrench in my chest as I imagined metal bars surrounding her, leaving her trapped.

"Yeah, that must've sucked. I'm sorry that happened to you. Maybe I can get Derrick to take you home." While I didn't want to be alone, I couldn't just let her remain trapped here.

"Y-You'd really do that?" Her soft eyes lit up, her cold hands reaching out and gripping mine.

"Of course. You're my friend. Okay, now where's the giant asshole?" I get up off the bed and slowly near the edge of the shelf that holds my home. 

"He's sleeping down there currently," Sophie responded, following close behind me. 

Then I remembered what he said. He told me my answer to what he asked was wrong. So...why do Calinthro's take humans? If not to be pets, maybe slaves? Servants? Just things to hold onto to kill later? This can't wait, I need to wake up the dick.

Peering down over the edge, I could see the large form of the demon down below, the heavy breathing getting louder. He's sleeping alright. How peaceful. Let's change that. 

Cupping my hands around my mouth, I raise my voice to wake him. "Hey, Derrick?!"

The large form shifted, and a large face popped up right in front of me. Startled, I stumbled backward and cast a small glare in the demon's direction. 

"What do you want, Jenny?" His deep voice mumbled, warm breath cascading around me. It almost made me sick. 

"Why do Calinthro's take humans? And I want to know the truth." I cross my arms, keeping a firm stance even though my heart was pounding against my ribcage. I'd never get used to everything being so big.

His green eyes widened, and I could see a slight bit of panic in them before his head turned away from me. "You really want to know?"

~Derrick's P.O.V.~

Shit! I knew she was going to want to know! Why was I suddenly so embarrassed? I mean, I'd never told a human this before, no Calinthro has ever told a human before. But maybe if I tell her, she'd understand why I keep saying I love her. And I truly do, even if it's not in a way a human would think.

"Calinthro's...were actually once human," I mumble softly, pushing one of my hands through my hair. "We turned into demons because of something we did before we died. And the only way to become human again, get this cliche shit, is to fall in love and earn the love of another human. Supposedly it's impossible, because usually once humans and drug down into the Underworld...they turn away, become too frightened to think of a thing like love. Like I said, it's cliche." I keep my head turned away from my teenage companion, my heart actually beating rapidly in my chest.

"Y-You were human?" Her soft voice said, and I glance discreetly over to see her staring. Her beautiful dark brown eyes filled with confusion, and worry. "What did you do to turn into a demon? D-Did you kill someone?"

"You could say that." I really hadn't thought about that in centuries. "I was about to turn seventeen. My house, my family, we were poor. We barely had enough money to plant our crops let alone celebrate something as trivial as a birthday. My dad worked for a rich family, and...I decided to head to their house while they were out on some vacation. But it turned out not all of them were out for the day." I lower my head as the memories come flooding back. "I had only meant to get it and out, grab a few things I could sell to get more money for my family. Candles were lit, I can't believe I thought nothing of it. But after grabbing some stuff, I knocked a candle over and the fire spread faster than I could react. Damn...I-I got out of there as soon as I could, I was so happy because no one was in the house, and I got some stuff to sell. Then I heard the cries. Cries and screams of at least three little girls up in the bedrooms on the top floor."

"I-I didn't say anything to anyone. I stayed near the house and watched it burn, and listened to the screams end. That was an accident...but when their parents arrived home from what was actually a few errands, I snagged my dad's hunting rifle and shot the mother and father in the chest. I don't know why I did that. Maybe to somehow make it look like a murder instead of a break in. Then I turned the gun and shot myself. Suddenly I woke up here and Max had to explain. Jenny, the more I think about it the worse I feel." I bury my face in my hands, imagining every scene play over again and again in my head. Now I remember why I tried to forget.