Chapter Fourteen

"Max!" Derrick's angry voice bellowed through the house of the other Calinthro. "Where are you?!" Anger was coursing through his veins, he could feel his heart beating in his chest.

"Yo, Derrick, what's your problem man?" Max said with a smirk, leaning against the wall with a blonde human tight in his grasp.

"You just left Sophie out there! You could have taken her home to her family!" He shouted, balling his hands into fists. "Do you know what could have happened to her out there?! She's human!"

"Yeah, I know. That's why I left her out there. That was kind of the point." Max snickered, glancing at the female in his grip. "I got this little honey now anyway. Isn't she a doll? Hot as hell and sassy as balls."

The blonde struggled, casting an angry glare at the demon holding her. "Piece of shit!" She spat, trying to escape.

Derrick's eyes landed on the girl and a feeling churned in his stomach. It wasn't a sick feeling, no. Maybe a lustful one that he hadn't felt in ages. She was a very attractive woman.

"Come on Derrick, just like old times, eh? Remember that cute brunette we shared? Hm? How much fun she was." A grin remained plastered on Max's face. He could tell his friend was having an inner battle with himself. "We are still demons after all. Don't you remember how she would struggle? How her desperate pleas only fueled our antics?"

Derrick shut his green eyes tightly, his nails digging into the skin of his hand. "I-I told you that's not who I am anymore. I can't do that ever again, it was awful. A-And if Jenny were to ever find out it'd ruin me."

"Who says your little pest has to ever find out, Derrick? It's just between you and me. Never to reach any other demons, or humans, ears. Especially since this little cutie will be dead afterward."

A smirk began to make its way onto Derrick's lips as he attempted to fight the burning temptation welling in his gut. He couldn't. He can't. If Jenny were to find out....Jenny won't find out. He can. He could.

Max watched as his friend's eyes opened, n longer emerald green but a fiery red with a black pupil. His lips curled into a sneer, revealing fangs which matched his own. "Atta boy Derrick."

Jenny sits with Sophie, gently rubbing the older girl's arm to try and comfort her. "Hey, it's okay now. You're away from that guy, and I'm here to be your friend."

Sophie quivered in fear, tears threatening to run down her face. "Th-That monster out there, I-I want it to go away!"

Having not seen the beast herself, Jenny couldn't fully understand the fear running in the other's body. But just the description of what it looked like was enough to send chills down her spine. "It can't get you in here."

"H-How do you know?" Sophie whispered, gripping her friends arm tightly.

"I don't know for sure. I'm just trying to make you feel better. Is it working?" She smiled warmly at the frightened woman.

"A-A little." She responded softly, laying on the floor of Jenny's bedroom and curling into a fetal position. "Th-Thank you for being my f-friend."

"You don't have to thank me. Us girls gotta stick together. Especially when we're dealing with demons. Right?" Jenny giggled, patting the floor to call her little kitten over. "And look at this little puffball, he'll help you feel better too right? His name is Storm."

"H-He's so cute!" Sophie was immediately upright, lifting the startled gray kitten into her arms and fawning over him. Scratching his ears, rubbing his chin, petting his back. "I love kittens so much, oh, and bunnies!"

Jenny laughed at the reaction, glad to see her relaxing so quickly. "Bunnies are amazing. Little balls of puff. Some of them when they get older though get really mean looking and just mean in general. I went to the county fair once and one nearly bit the tip of my finger off!"

"Yes, you have to be careful. Some of them will bite if they feel threatened, but others will squeal. Have you ever heard a rabbit scream?" Sophie asked softly, glancing over to Jenny with a small smile gracing her thin lips.

"Rabbit screaming? No, I don't think I've ever even heard about that. What does it sound like?"

"It's like a legit scream! If they're scared enough, they'll let out this horrible wail. It's unnerving and sad." 

"Holy shit, that sounds terrifying. Good thing bunnies aren't scared of the dark or pet owners must get terrified awake in the middle of the night!"

Both girls laughed and focused their attention on playing with the kitten, chatting and enjoying each others company. Jenny thought about how this is the first time she's seen Sophie this relaxed, and that she herself hasn't been this relaxed since she arrived in the Underworld with Derrick. It was a nice feeling.

Then she found her thoughts drifting back to her grandmother, who was back home all alone. It made her sad. She wanted to be with her, to hug her. Tell her everything would be okay just as the old woman had done so many times throughout the years. 

"Jenny, are you okay?"

The question brought Jenny from her thoughts and she could now feel hot tears running down her cheeks. "O-Oh, yes, I'm fine. I was just thinking about my grandma, who took care of me since I was born. I miss her, and I want to know she's doing but Derrick won't take me back there again I don't think."

"Oh...how awful. I hope you get to see her again. I miss my little brother and parents. And my boyfriend. I hope they're all doing alright. I used to wish to be taken away to another world where I could live happily, not like this." Sophie let out a soft, sad sigh.

"Yeah...I hope so too." Jenny turned her gaze to the large window across the room, allowing her thoughts to be drowned once more in images of the elderly woman that took care of her for sixteen years.