6

DING DONG DING DONG

Courtney POV
When it comes to lunch, I'm a lonely bitch again because I don't have anyone to eat with. I might try asking olivia if she has any plans.

I found her standing by her locker, rearranging her books and notes. What a tidy person.

'Hey olivia...' I shifted nervously, playing with my fingers.

'Oh hey Courtney! What's up?'

'Do you have any plans at lunch break? If not, can we eat together? I don't have anyone else to eat with...' I trailed off.

Man I was anxious.

'Nope! I'm totally free. Let me just put away my notebook, then we can walk to the cafeteria.'

I was super relieved. She sure is a confident girl. All I did was grin and nod.

Olivia and I walked to the cafeteria. 'What's your favourite food? I like Chinese food very much. My mom cooks the best dishes!'

I bet she really loves her mom. 'Well I'm vegan, so I love eating salad and cheese pizza. It's a weird combination but I love them both,' I replied.

We sat down and ate the lunches their moms packed for them. We talked about their favourite classes. We also talked about how some of the teachers are very strict.

But I wonder if olivia knew shayne. If she did, she would want to know more about him through her.

'By the way, do you know this guy named Shayne topp?'

'Why? You have a crush on him?'

I couldn't help but to blush a little, but little enough that Olivia wouldn't notice.

'Uh, of course not!' I said reluctantly.

'Then why'd you ask about him? Well, I could tell you something about him. He is very popular in school and his girlfriend is Jessica.'

My eyes went wide when I heard the girl's name. I had a million questions in my brain.

Why would he even date Jessica?

But why did he treat me so kindly while Jessica treated me poorly?

Why did he care about me?

Why do I even care?

I started getting dizzy thinking about all this. Olivia must've noticed as she looked at me with a worried expression on her face.

'Courtney? Are you alright?' She asked.

'I don't know. Maybe I need to rest for a while and drink some water.'

'I can take you to the nurse in the office if you want to.'

'You are such a nice friend. I might sit in the office room for a while.'

Olivia packed our things and took me to the office. I told the staff on duty I was feeling dizzy, and she let me into the sick room. There was a bed so I can lie down for a while.

'Lunch is ending. I have to go now. You stay here and rest for a while. I have class starting in 10 minutes and I better get my books ready. Text me if you need anything! I will try my best to type a reply without the teacher noticing!' She always makes me laugh when she intentionally says things with her high-pitched tone. With that, she exited the sick room, and I'm left with my own thoughts.

I've always been writing diaries, and I figured out this is the right time to add an entry into the notebook that sums up my life.

So I took out my diary and a pen, and started writing. I asked myself a question every time I write.

Entry #16
Why does he care?
Shayne is a very nice boy with blonde hair and beautiful blue eyes. In fact, he's the most popular kid in school! I must've been lucky to have gotten to know him and sit with him in maths class.

But things just don't make sense when Olivia mentioned he's dating Jessica. He could've chosen to bully me with her. He could've neglected me. He could've refused to help me with maths. I just don't understand why he would care about me.

I wrote my heart out, eventually got tired of thinking and drifted off to sleep.