Chapter 1 ~ New Friends

It has been 2 years since I had left Juuzou, and everyday I hauled on more regret than the last. Nothing really seemed important to me anymore,not even my fellow ghouls. I can't even remember the last time I had spoken to anyone...

I sat down on the edge of one of the tallest skyscrapers, my legs dangling off the edge. The light however cold breeze surrounded me as I scanned the sleep-deprived city below me that we call Tokyo. Nothing really grasped my attention- as per usual. However that all changed when my eagle eye vision caught a medium height collage boy, with jet black hair and a white eye patch covering his left eye running into a long dark alley with a malicious yet hungry open-mouthed smile. I could sense that he was a ghoul too, however something seemed...off about him. He seemed human in a way. No, what am I thinking? There can't be a half-ghoul half-human hybrid...can there? Well i guess there's only one way to find out, I'll follow him.

I lent forwards, as if i was skydiving and kicked myself off the vertical with a strong force and flipped over. Next, I free fell with my legs bent and my arms slightly up above my head- looking at the billboard below me. I then threw my legs over my head and landed on the top with my hands, pushing myself onto the roof top- landing on my feet. I then quickly scanned the area, looking for the boy. He was halfway across the alley, to the left of me. I whipped my head forwards, sprinted to the edge, pounced off and darted to the ground below me, head first and aiming for the lamp post below me. Every second that I was falling, I could feel every ounce of adrenaline multiply and rush around my body as I got closer to my target- wind whipping my hair away from my cold face. Once I was in range, I spread my fingers apart- arching my healed wrists forwards a small bit, my legs bent over a little. My hands made contact with the horizontal part of the post, therefore I clamped my fingers around it, then swung around onto the one next to it- in the direction of the boy. I continued to leap across them as if they were stepping stones...except they were metal poles...and 10 meters high. I was reaching a turn in the road, which meant the lamp posts followed it and unfortunately, that meant that they were then going the wrong way. I decided to jump early, spinning onto the lap posts on the other side, then falling onto the roof of the entrance of a hotel to the right of me. Without stopping, I leaped up and bounced off the wall of the hotel, successfully darting to the boy coming to the end of the alley way. I had just about made it to the fence that separated the busy city of Tokyo to the quiet alley before I bounced off my hands and hid behind a large rectangular dust bin. I made it.

Deciding to stay hidden, I listened out for what was happening. It was then that I had sensed that there were other ghouls in the area...not much stronger than me. I could also smell a dead human body being eaten by one of those ghouls. Curious, I quietly leaned forwards and poked my head around the corner. I couldn't see the 'half ghouls' face, as I was behind him. However by his posture, he looked terrified and unable to move...as if he was paralyzed. It was then that the ghoul that was feasting stopped, looked up, and looked at him with half-lidded eyes- human blood dripping from his open mouth and splashing onto the concrete floor below. The boy took a few steps back, shaking frantically yelling a small bit. How was he scared? If anything this should be normal to him if he was a ghoul. He then fully turned around, then saw me...wait. What?

He has one ghoul eye?

Some how this made me angry and offended, therefore I rolled out from behind the bin and leaped up onto my feet, frowning. This then made the other ghoul that was present notice me, he then also stood up- looking pissed.

"Don't you know that this is my feeding ground?" The ghoul who was feasting snarled at me. He had short ginger hair and black rimmed rectangular glasses.

"Feeding ground..?" I laughed, I have never heard of such thing. If I need food I just grab a bitch from the street, dart off and eat.

"Yeah, Feeding ground! What planet are you on? Anyone who dares to trespass into my grounds must leave immediately, and if not then they shall die. So, choose your fate." He spoke, clenching his hands into fists.

I stood still.

The 'half ghoul' looked as if he had shitted himself and stood still in the middle, daring not to move.

"Well then, I guess I'll just have to kill you" He smirked, his neon blue tentacle-like kagune tearing out of his lower back, which intimidated me a bit...because...I have never actually used my kagune, no one ever taught me. I have tried a couple of times, but it just ended up in blood sweat and tears. I never knew why it won't happen, I just try to forget about it.

"You aren't killing anyone, Nishiki" A monotone female voice spoke from behind me, causing me to quickly turn around. A beautiful girl stood before me, her dark blue short hair covered one of her eyes. She was dressed in a short skirt and her school uniform, complimenting the fact that she was also a student. Did they both go to the same school? She also had her kagune out, hers was a singular wing coming from her right shoulder- emitting a ominous red/orange glow. It wavered in the cool night breeze as she finally made eye contact with me.

"Touka.." Nishiki breathed.

She cocked her head to the side, signalling me to get out of the way, also mouthing the words 'take him with you'.

I did as she said, turning around and grabbing the collage boy's collar and leaped out of the way. And just like that, she zoomed past me, just about skimming me and engaging Nishiki in a fight. I was slightly startled at how close she was to hitting me, and it seemed the boy was too. I looked down to him. He had his hands clasped around my fist that was clamped around his shirt's collar, his face scrunched up and some tears forming in his closed eyes.

"Why are you crying? If anything you should be used to this shit." I said, my expression not wavering. He then looked up at me with a surprised yet scared face and attempted to scramble away from me, however he probably forgot that I had a firm grip on him to ensure that he wouldn't get in the way of anything. I tried asking another question:

"What's you're name?"

"Uh...K-Ken Kaneki..." He stuttered, by now he had stopped crying. "Please don't kill me.."

"Now now, what reason would I have to kill you?" I grinned, lifting him off the ground a little. He made a 'grk' sound and held on to my wrist once again, scrunching his face.

"Hey you" Touka spoke, holding a piece of the humans flesh towards me, as if to say 'Do you want some?'. I couldn't see Nishiki around anywhere, which meant she had beaten him and he had fled. I let go of Kaneki without looking at him as he thudded to the floor and I held out my hand, nodding. She threw me the piece and then tore another one off, presumably for Kaneki. I decided that there was no point staying for much longer:

"Thank you, but i'll be off now. See ya around I guess.." I said to Touka, smiling. She nodded and weakly smiled in return.

Without looking back, I jumped up and bounced back and fourth off the walls of the dead end of the alley- my hair blowing behind me. I landed on the roof and took a slow walk back to the city of Tokyo, placing my hands into the pocket of my hoodie.

Hm...I guess It's back to roaming the streets in hope of finding Juuzou again...