Chapter 2

Knock, knock.

"This must be Katherine and Mrs.Rain." Iris said, drying her hands in order to open the door.

"I'll get it." I offered.

Opening the door, I saw mother holding a present box as well as Katherine holding a cake.

"You didn't have to." I said and kissed them on the cheek.

"We had to." Katherine said and smiled while mother nodded.

"Come in." I gestured.

Closing the door, I took the present and cake and placed them on the kitchen counter.

"Iris."

"Yes Maddy?"

"Can you put the cake in the fridge when you're done?"

"Yes Maddy."

Walking towards the living room, I sat on my favorite couch and started up a conversation since the silence irritated me.

"It's been a long time since I last saw you two."

"Yes, It's been almost two months." Mother said.

"Seriously Maddison, we barely hang out. Why don't you leave work and find another job?" Katherine said.

"Excuse me? You want me to leave my company? My position? You want me to break my promise?"

"Why would you promise dad in the first place."

"I wanted to and I had the will and risk taking ability to replace him."

"But-"

"Katherine. That's enough." I warned her.

"Ok.."

"We don't want to fight girls." Mom said.

"Food is ready." Iris called from the kitchen.

I stood up and headed towards the kitchen. Sitting on my favorite chair, we started devouring the food, when mother interrupted.

"You know Maddison...Katherine and I have been hiding something from you." She said nevoursly.

I dropped my fork and intertwined my fingers together.

"Which is?" I said. A true fact about me is that, I don't like people hiding things from me. What if it's too late to make a move?

Katherine gulped while mother spoke, "Your father's death wasn't a normal one...it was because someone did-"

"WHAT!" I yelled.

"A-as you heard. People were behind John's death and we still didn't figure out who. It may be two or even three people."

"You told me it was a normal one! Then how did I hear dad's final words? He was pure without any wounds and cuts." I insisted.

"We healed him and sent him to the hospital. He was supposed to stay there but he wanted to talk to you about something, which turned out to be the business."

"Why did this someone kill him?"

"Probably revenge."

"Revenge for being the most supplying company?"

"Yes."

"You know how much this affected me and you still managed to hide this huge deal for three years?"

"I didn't mean to. You were already engrossed in your work and you were really tired. I didn't want to add pressure."

"But this is my responsibility to find out who killed my father. I'm in his company now, which means I'm responsible for everything in and out, dead or alive, job opportunities and schedules, and plenty more!"