Chapter 5

Dedicated to michii1213, because in case you didn't know, this story includes characters from her story Tomorrow, it's a Niall fic and it's damn good. xx

Chapter 5:

The next day, the band, Louis, and I were sitting in the living room of mine and DeDe’s apartment. We were determined to get some writing done today, though things were still tense between the guys and DeDe. Apparently, after Chase and I went outside yesterday, Garrett yelled at DeDe for badmouthing Chase and they argued, so by the time Chase and I came inside, Delia wanted to leave. We had decided that we weren’t ending this writing session until we had at least two songs written. Currently, we had a guitar track for one song and the melody for another. We just needed lyrics.

“I think we need a power ballad,” I said confidently. “We haven’t had one in a while and I want one.”

Garrett nodded. “What if we made it a duet? The fans have been tweeting me about singing more, and I’m into the idea. I haven’t really sung a lot on any albums before, and they loved me singing in the covers.”

“Yes!” I loved the idea. Garrett’s voice complemented mine perfectly when we sang, but he didn’t do it very often. “I definitely want Gare to sing more.”

Chase nodded. “I’m only good for harmonies, but Garrett can sing.” Chase looked at Louis and smirked. “He could give your boyband a run for their money.” Louis chuckled and shrugged at Chase, not saying anything.

“Delia, what do you think?” I asked. Three-fourths of the band was in on the idea, but we wouldn’t move forward with any idea unless it was a unanimous decision.

She shrugged. “I won’t say no. The fans went nuts over the cover of ‘If It Means a Lot to You,’ which was fucking epic. I’m one hundred percent okay with Garrett singing more.”

Garrett beamed and nodded. “Sick. And I have another idea, so hear me out.” He sat forward in his chair excitedly. “I was thinking we could do a cover of ‘Leather and Lace’ by Stevie Nicks and Don Henley, but we should speed it up, rock it up and make it more our style. Keep the original class rock influence, but make it our own. I think it could be amazing. Delia could work her magic on the guitar track, and Nat, you could play with the piano a bit. Chase, you could add bass, and I could work out a drum beat.” As Garrett talked, I watched his eyes light up and his whole body was moving. I could tell how excited he was about this idea, and it was definitely contagious.

Chase nodded. “Yeah, I like it. We were all pretty influenced by classic rock. If Geezer Butler didn’t exist, I probably never would have picked up a bass, Joan Jett made Deeds realize that chicks can rock too, Neil Peart got Garrett into drums, and Nat is borderline obsessed with Stevie Nicks.” I smiled and flipped him off. “I don’t feel like most of our music reflects how much classic rock means to us. What if the covers we put on the album are all reworked classic rock tunes; we can each pick one. And then the songs that we write can show that influence, as well as staying true to our sound.”

“Fuck yes, Chase, you get it!” Garrett yelled. “I love it! Ladies?”

Delia nodded and I smiled widely. “Chay and Garrett just had the idea of the century.” They both smiled at me. “I think that this could be our best album yet, once we start working on it. So now that we know what we’re doing music-wise, I think the power ballad will definitely be hair band-inspired, because hair bands had the best ballads.” I turned to Louis. “As a fan of ours, do you think this is a good idea?”

He nodded. “I think it’s sick, and I’m glad that I’m going to help write some of it.”

I smiled at him and turned back to my bandmates. “Alright, let’s get to writing.”