Chapter 14

Chapter 14:

“Why do you get to visit Garrett when the rest of us don’t?”

I rolled my eyes and grabbed my keys off of the counter.

“Don’t ignore me. It can’t just be because you’re his best friend. Chase is his best friend, too.”

“Delia, I don’t want to talk about it. I have to go or I’ll be late.”

“Whatever,” she huffed, and I knew she’d bother me about it when I got home, too, unless she got her answer.

I spun to face her. “I’m allowed to visit Garrett because he put me down as his sister, and apparently immediate family are allowed to visit after a certain amount of time and the facility called me because Garrett wants to see me, alright? I didn’t want to tell you or Chase because I’m listed as family and you guys aren’t.” I spun back around and left our apartment, sighing because I’d probably have to come back and deal with that like an adult when I returned, but hey. Delia wanted the truth, so she got it. Sue me. I made it to my car and headed towards Garrett’s treatment facility, hoping I wouldn’t be late.

I entered the rehab facility and walked up to the pristine front desk. The middle-aged woman behind the desk smiled brightly at me. “Hello, how can I help you today?”

I smiled back at her. “Yeah, I’m here to visit Garrett Daniels.”

“Can I see picture identification, please? Just to verify that you are who you claim to be and that you’re on the guest list.”

“I understand,” I smiled, reaching into my purse and pulling out my wallet, handing the woman my I.D.

She looked from my I.D. to her computer and smiled up at me. “Alright, Miss Reed, you’re all set. Can I ask you to leave your purse and cell phone at the front desk, please? It’s another policy. We just don’t want the tenants to be able to get their hands on any prohibited items.”

I nodded and handed her my things. “Here you go.”

She stood up and did a once-over of my body, I’m assuming to visually check if she could see any contraband. “Alright, follow me and I’ll lead you to Mr. Daniels’ living quarters.” I followed the woman through a set of doors and down several white hallways until we reached a door that led outside. “Tenants here have living quarters that are separate from the counseling facility. The doctors believe that it is beneficial for them to have a place to go back to that they can call their own.” I nodded in understanding as we stepped outside into a beautiful courtyard/garden area. I could see tennis courts, a running track, and a swimming pool, as well as rows upon rows of small white cottage-like buildings. The woman led me to the buildings and down several paths until we stopped outside a door. She stepped up and knocked twice. “Mr. Daniels, your visitor has arrived,” she called before walking away, back to the main building.

Within five seconds, the door to the building flew open and Garrett was outside, arms wrapped tightly around me. “Natalie, you don’t know how good it is to see you!”

I hugged him back tightly before holding him at arm’s length. “Let me look at you!” I said happily, taking in his appearance. His hair was back in a low ponytail and he was wearing a simple pair of jeans and a Lynyrd Skynyrd t-shirt. He looked as if he’d put on a few pounds and was now at a healthy weight, and the dark circles that used to reside under his eyes were no more. “You look so good, Gare.” I hugged him again before stepping back.

“Well I don’t know if it’s because I haven’t seen you in a while, but you look incredible, too.”

“Breaks can do that to you,” I smiled. “How are you? How’s it going in here? It’s so fucking nice!”