memories

Requested by pers0n0naplanet

___________________

When Clint Barton, knocked on your apartment door and asked you to join the Avengers, you were dumbfounded. A small part of you knew he would ask you to join. When you first met him, it involved saving him, after all.

At first you were tempted to close the door on him, but since he had become a close friend, you decided against that. After letting him in, he spent the whole time trying to coax you to join. Out of all the extravagant, righteous, and quite ridiculous reasons to join, you firmly refused. Until, he said a name you hadn't heard in years.

Your reluctance to joining the Avengers stemmed from the fact that you preferred to work off the grid. You shied away from the limelight. Another important fact was that after your years kept as a Hydra experiment; you were not prepared to put yourself into a position where your powers could be used for the wrong. The fact that Hydra had infiltrated SHIELD did not help at all, despite Captain America's successful crusade of stopping them.

So as you stood outside the Avengers compound and stared at the looming A on the building, you reminded yourself that it would all be worth it in the end.

"Ready to go in?" Clint asked you. He gripped your suitcase to him and, with his free hand, gestured to the entrance. "Everyone's waiting for you."

You fidgeted with the silver band on your ring finger. It gave you comfort, and the strength you needed to take your first steps into a new life.

As Clint walked you to your room, he happily chatted on. "Who are you most excited to meet? Be honest."

You creased your eyebrows in thought. "Well... Thor. Can't blame me. He's a God."

Clint chuckled. "I made sure your room was far from his. He snores. A lot."

"My hero," you said. "Who are my neighbors?"

"Cap will be opposite your room, I'm down the hallway, and your room is flanked by Bucky and Sam."

You stilled. Trying your best not to give away anything, with the most uninterested voice you could muster, you asked, "Bucky, what's he like? You never told me much about him."

Clint gave you a small shrug. "He's a nice guy. But when he's not around Cap, or Sam, he gets pretty quiet sometimes."

"How's his memory? Has he remembered much of his past yet?"

Clint stopped outside a door that had "Welcome, ____" taped to it in bright, colorful cursive letters. You guessed that must be your room. He turned to you and raised a curious eyebrow. "He remembers most of when he and Cap were pals, but some of his time with Hydra is muddled up. You're oddly interested in him."