library of secrets

(   quartz  )

( quartz )

...

THE LIBRARY OF SECRETS, a rumored place filled to the brim with books containing secrets that could answer all the mysteries in the world. The white business card that had been slid under your apartment's door had no extra information about the place, except on how to find it. Perhaps if you didn't need answers so desperately for your magical infliction, you wouldn't have taken the risk of finding this strange library. For all you knew, it could have been a trap, a murder-house.

In fact, as you stood in the empty alley way, holding your breath and staring at the dirt caked bricks, you considered retreating. Before you could turn and flee, the bricks rumbled, and then, started sliding, up, down, left and right, until a small door was revealed. The door itself was nothing special, just a plain cracked wooden door that needed another touch of paint and a new handle that wasn't rusted. What did stand out, however, were the strange markings that glowed a soft orange.

You had come this far, why retreat now? So you placed your hand on the shaky handle, and with a satisfying click, the door swung open, creaking on its hinges.

"Ah, come in," a voice called out to you. It was coarse and shaky. Your eyes adjusted to the sudden candle light coming from the room you peered into, spotting a small hunched figure with a tuff of white hair, sat behind a wooden desk much too large for him. "Dear, you're letting the warm air out. Library's open, hurry up inside."

Hesitantly, you stepped in and slowly closed the door behind you. You noticed a theme: wood. Wooden floors, ceilings, walls, chairs, desks, staircase, and windows. Windows that to your shock, overlooked a snowy landscape, rattling slightly as an icy wind shook them.

That's not possible. But it was, somehow, because you realized you were no longer in New York. This peculiar library was far too big to fit in the dingy two story building you had tracked down.

"Here's your library card." The man held up a wrinkled hand to you, his papery skin holding a gold card. You trudged slowly across one of the many rugs in the place and accepted the card, confused. "Books checked out should be returned within three weeks, but you can submit a form for an extension. If they're lost, we have a fee you need to pay. Please ensure all books are handled with care." He squinted at the stack of papers on his desk, shifting up his oversized glasses as he did. "Er, says here you're not yet cleared for the more uh, special books. When that time comes, I'll let you know. But, for now, enjoy what is available to you."

You nodded, unsure what to say. Turning away from the man, you wandered in further. The room was cluttered with book-stands, and the walls themselves were filled with books, from floor to ceiling, each bound in colorful hardcover, embossed with silver or gold writing in their spines. There was an upstairs that too, unsurprisingly, held an unbelievable amount of books.