bucky

( obsidian! warning: reader death )

an: Wanda7513 i am late to writing this but all aboard bucky's emotional distress train :(

. . .

   My love,
There are so many things I wish to say to you.

   Bucky's mind is screaming. To move, cry, retaliate. He does nothing, for if he does, it's telling fate that the reality in front of him is true.

   I want to say it'll be okay, I want to say that I'll be there, running my hands through your hair and kissing away your tears.

   He drops to his knees. The bullet cut through like you were brittle glass, a broken path of misery. You don't feel it, no not yet. You're still in shock, staring at the slick coating of crimson on your hand.

   Except it won't be okay.
   And I won't be there.

   He was careless, he knows. He should have protected you. He should have done better, to shield the one he loves. But you and him had grown so tired of picking through H.Y.D.R.A bases one after the other. What a fool, he was. To forget that despite all your strength and power, you were only human.

   I wish we had more time together. I wish I could cup your face, and rest your head against mine.

   He's cradling you, so tightly like if his grip slackens you'll vanish. "Don't go, please." He knows there's no time, no hope to save you. The tears come in waves, and he feels so vulnerable. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry."

   I want to say that I'm glad it wasn't you, but that would be too cruel.
I want to say I'm happy you get to live, to find love again, but I know you would feel it as a betrayal to me.

   Your skin used to glow, a beautiful vibrant aura. Now its shade is that of the clouds in a winter's storm. You're so cold, too. He can barely feel your pulse.

   There's so many things I want to say to you,
   but this is more than enough,

   "I love you," the words come quietly, almost without sound. Stillness follows, and Bucky knows you're truly gone.

   "I love you too," he gasps out in sobs. He didn't get the chance, the time to say it back soon enough, and it's heart wrenching. Did you know, that he loved you?

   I know, my love. I know.