the trials of bucky

Citrine/Quartz

( an adaption of the chat 'the abominable wade' into a oneshot. part 1/? )

•••

BUCKY GLARED at Steve from the various layers of clothes he was tightly bundled in. Instead of opting for everyone's more practical yet warm dress style, Bucky decided to take every precaution there was to keep him from feeling even the slightest chill.

Steve sighed heavily as he placed down the snow globe he was examining. He turned to Bucky, face sympathetic and worn with fatigue. "Will you stop looking at me like that?"

Bucky said nothing. It was not that he was upset with Steve, or even Tony for preparing the lavish trip. It was the cold, and the unsettling memories it dug up.

"Do you know what all this cold reminds me of?" Bucky asked a few moments later. Despite being inside the gift shop that was thoroughly heated, just glancing at icy tundra outside sent a chill down his spine.

Steve's eyes skittered nervously to the windows as he swallowed. "Ice-cream? Shaved ice?" He clicked his hands together. "Loki?"

Bucky smiled slightly. Steve's voice was soft and his expression playful as he tried to move Bucky's attention away from his past. But it wore off fast, and Bucky was left feeling glum again.

"The Cryostasis Chamber," Bucky answered him, pulling his thick coat closer to him and covering his mouth with his fluffy scarf.

Steve's smile dropped, and his eyes studied everything in the shop but Bucky. "Hmmm. Sounds weird. Don't know what that is."

"Sure you do. Not T'Challa's nice one. Hydra one." Bucky's voice grew an octave and took on a whiny lilt. "You know, where I was brainwashed. Frozen like peas." He looked at his arm. "And the day that led me to get this wasn't particularly sunny."

The gift shop had grown quiet. Other customers had stilled in their tracks, while some pretended to shop as the
ey listened in. Steve uncomfortably cleared his throat and they looked away quickly, after which he headed for the exit, beckoning Bucky to follow him as he did.

Annoyed with the lack of response, Bucky trailed after him like a kicked puppy.

"Steve!" he whispered, or at least tried to. "Buy me hot chocolate with marshmellows and I'll calm down."

The cafe was next to the gift shop. Wood from floor to ceiling, the inside of it had a few booth tables with colorful cushions lining them, and a plethora of books shelved onto a wall on one side. Bucky's favorite parts of it were the large shaggy rugs lining the floor and the crackling fireplace paired with a few beanbags in front.

"I'm really sorry, Buck. I'll try my best to make this trip a good experience," Steve said as he held the door to the cafe open. "Do you want sprinkles too?"

"Yes, sprinkles too." Bucky looked offended as he raised an eyebrow at his best friend. "Is that even question?"

There was a long line to the till, and Bucky mentally cursed as he saw it. Steve stiffened up, then glanced at Bucky and let out a sigh before marching up to the line.

Bucky plopped down onto a pink beanbag and held up his hands to the crackling fire. "Why did you even bring me along, Steve?"