captain banner

Brooklyn Nine-Nine AU

Part 2

[ requested by cc_mixie ]

✦ ✦ ✦

____ surveyed the list, her eyes darting back and forth as excitement bubbled up inside her. "I'm so going to get Captain Rogers's approval."

Sam laughed uneasily as he approached her, and gently took the list away. "Listen, ____, I know we always work cases together but --"

"Sam's partnering up with me on this," Bucky almost yelled. "Right, buddy?"

Sam avoided eye contact with ____ and Bucky, opting to stare at the bland, grey walls. "Actually, I've teamed up with Natasha. We have a bet going with Wade and Thor on who'll bring in the most criminals." He sighed as Bucky frowned and ____ had a look that was pure betrayal. "Look, have you seen Natasha take someone down? Shits crazy."

____ looked down, trying to collect her thoughts, and finally coming to a decision. "Okay... That's fine. I can just work with Bucky on this then, right Bucky?"

Bucky pouted. "No... Sam... We -- I thought --- Just... I even got you lunch, and a CD of all your favorite songs for our stakeout."

Sam held his hands up. "I'm sorry, man. A bet's a bet. And I'm not going to lose to Wade and Thor."

____ stared at Bucky uncertainly, unsure if pairing up with him would be good for her or not. After all, she really wanted to impress the Captain, and this was her chance. "How long does he get like... this?"

Bucky sniffed. "Like what?"

"Like you've just seen a puppy get kicked," ____ replied. She'd noted that whenever Sam turned down something Bucky had planned, or anything that Bucky thought would further their friendship, he'd grow solemn.

"Ewwwww," Clint said in a high pitched voice as he studied them from his desk. "Bucky's going to bring down the whole mood of the station."

Sam gave Bucky a half hug. "Next time, buddy. You don't want to know what Thor and Wade want if they win." He shot a glare at Clint. "Don't you have work to do?'

Clint yawned. "You're right. It's nap time." He scooted down on his seat, and within seconds, fell into a deep sleep.

____ bit her lip as she analyzed the situation. "I really want to do well at the task, and looking at Bucky," she gestured to the defeated man, "he is not going to help me. Who do I partner with now?"

Thor slowly rolled his chair from his desk to a halt in front of her. "I can assist you."

____ blanched as she looked at her fellow detective. Thor made a mess wherever he went, and she couldn't stand it. "You? No. No way. I won't get in your car. Nor will I let you in my car."

"Hold up, you're supposed to be with Wade on this," Sam said, holding up his hands. "____ will carry you through the whole thing. That's cheating."

Thor smiled, a slow, drawn out smile that made both ____ and Sam recoil. "Well, that's the point. Wade will be with Bucky, and I with ____. She wants to excel at this, and so she will be too focused on doing so to scream at me. And, I win the bet."

"My god," ____ said, somewhat impressed, "I didn't know you were that devious. You know what, Thor? I'll make an exception just this one time. You help me impress Captain Rogers, and I'll help you win the bet." She smiled smugly at Sam.