Chapter 22

¤Evening; Jan 12, 2009
   The abandoned observatory
   Mt. Alliance¤

   Aaron had finally found Katelyn and Aphmau dry clothes. Aleena did everything in her power to stay away from the others them. She felt nothing but guilt over making a deal with Gene. She suddenly felt a weird vibe.

   "Hello, princess." She heard Gene's voice. Aleena's eyes widened.

   "Some sort of telepathy magic...?" She thought.

   "You really are perceptive."

   "So you can hear me. What do you want?!" Aleena frowned.

   "Hey now, calm down. Remember, your secret lies with me." Gene's threatening tone rang through her mind.

   "I need you to do something for me. But first, what precautions are your little group taking tonight? Surely you won't protect yourselves."

   "I-I don't know. I haven't spoken to them very much."

   "Well, figure it out then. This connection will stay as long I keep it. Let me know when you figure things out, princess... or else." She heard ringing in her ears, but it eventually faded. She looked to Aaron.

   "I...  guess I don't have a choice..." Aleena thought. She stood up and walked over to Aaron.

   "Oh, hey Aleena. You okay?" Katelyn asked.

   "Y-Yeah. I'm fine. So, remind me again what we are doing tonight?" Aleena asked.

   "Tonight? You mean reinforcing the observatory?" Aaron asked.

   "Oh, uh, yeah. How are we doing that again...?" Aleena asked. Aaron looked at her suspiciously.

   "Why?" Aaron asked.

   "Um... just..." Aleena paused for half a second

   "I'm just scared!" Aleena said a little louder than she meant to. Aaron's eyes widened. Aleena realized there were tears in her eyes.

   "Why am I crying...?"

   "Don't worry, Aleena. I'm rigging a lock on the door and staying up all night." Aaron smiled at her slightly yet warmly. Aphmau and Katelyn smiled at each other at Aaron. Showing kindness such as this was not Aaron's strong suit, but when he did, Aphmau couldn't help but smile.

   "O-Okay." Aleena forced a smile and walked away.

   "She's kind of acting weird lately, don't you think?" Katelyn said.

   "She's probably just nervous. She's like that." Aphmau said. Aaron stared after Aleena, but went to rigging the lock.

   "C-Can you hear me...?" Aleena tried to reach Gene nervously.

   "As always, princess. So what did you find out?"

   ¤Night; Jan 12, 2009
   The abandoned observatory
   Mt. Alliance¤

   Aphmau and Katelyn were getting ready for bed. Katelyn, Aphmau and Aleena usually slept on the balcony to the left of the door while Aaron slept on the right balcony. Katelyn went up to the balcony, but Aleena was sitting near the edge the balcony, looking nervous. Aphmau felt bad for her. She knew the Shadow Knights made her nervous. Aphmau walked up to Aaron.

   "Hey." Aphmau smiled, and Aaron looked at her with a soft expression.

   "You should probably get some sleep. I'm going to stay up tonight." Aaron said.

   "I'll stay up with you. Keep you company. At least for a little bit?" Aphmau said hopefully.

   "Fine, but you better sleep at least a little bit." Aaron said. He made a fire in the makeshift fire pit in the observatory. He had pillows there he had gotten from his own bed. Aphmau sat down next to him, gazing into the flame. It was... calming.

   "Aaron, what are we going to do if they beat us? If they take you and me away... what if they kill--"

   "Shhh..." Aaron put his finger over her mouth and Aphmau blushed lightly. He brought his lips to her ear.

   "Aleena's awake. She can hear us. Please don't upset her..." Aaron whispered. Aphmau nodded slowly and Aaron backed away.

   "I admire how much you care about your sister. She really likes you." Aphmau said.

   "She always has... at first, I felt bad because I thought she believed that she owed me for taking her in, and I didn't want her to stay around just because she felt she owed me." Aaron just stared into the flame as he spoke.

   "But eventually, we just grew to care more for each other, and despite every opportunity, she never left without coming back. I really do see her as a sister." Aaron looked at Aphmau. she met his gaze, but started blushing and looked away.

   "I never had a brother or sister." Aphmau said.

   "But I always wanted one. Especially since I was home schooled until High school." Aphmau said. It went quiet, and Aaron just stared at her. Aphmau tried not to look back and make eye contact. Aphmau found herself getting sleepy as the night went on.

   "You're tired." Aaron said.

   "N-No... I'm fine." Aphmau shook her head, but Aaron wasn't buying it obviously.

   "Yes, you're very convincing, Aphmau." Aaron rolled his eyes, smirking. He grabbed a blanket and adjusted the pillows to their left. Aaron looked to the right and saw Aleena still sitting her. She looked exactly the same as she had several hours ago. Aaron shook it off, trying to ignore it. She was just nervous about the Shadow Knights attacking... right?

   Aphmau leaned on Aaron, closing her eyes. Aaron blushed slightly, but then smiled. He carefully laid down. Aphmau laid on his chest, her hands on his shoulders. Aaron grabbed the blanket, pulling it over both of them. He put his lips to her hair gently. Aphmau gently traced her fingers on his arm out to his wrist and intertwined her fingers with his. He slowly wrapped his other arm around her.

   "Get some rest." Aaron murmured, holding her tighter, but being careful to not hurt her. Aphmau closed her eyes once more and fell asleep.

   "I'll protect you... I promise..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   Heyyyyy. I'm so proud of myself for becoming more consistent with my writing and stuff. Hope you guys like this!

   Thanks for reading! ♡ ♡ ♡

Check out Aphmau:
   Empress_Aphmau
   Aphmau (https://www.youtube.com/user/ChallengeAcceptedInc)

Check out the game that inspired this story:
   "Life Is Strange"

Writer of this chapter:
   Nylo
Editor:
   MEeeeEEee ;)