chapter three -:- fast paced

Dinah arrived home to find music playing from the kitchen. The house smelt of Gumbo, and there was suddenly more life in the place than there had been in weeks.

"I'm home," she called out, laughing when Laker and Raider jumped her to say hello. She gave them some belly rubs before heading for the kitchen to find Normani standing at the stove and Ally dancing on the island top, a wooden spoon being used as a microphone by the looks of it.

"Mama!" Ally cheered, not thinking twice as she leaped from the counter and into Dinah's arms, making the woman groan.

"You won't be able to do that forever, sunshine," Dinah said, placing the girl on her feet before heading to Normani and wrapping her arms around the woman's waist. "How are you?" She asked softly, pressing gentle kisses to the side of Normani's neck.

"I'm good," Normani replied, nodding her head. "I talked about some things with Brittany and Ally and I talked out some things as well. I'm better than I've been in a while."

"I'm glad to hear that. The food smells amazing by the way."

"Grandma's recipe."

"Praise Jesus," Dinah said, earning a laugh before she was shooed away to set the table. "Tell me about your day, mousey," Dinah said to Ally as she brought bowls and spoons to the table and placed them in front of the seats.

"I drew a picture for you and mommy," Ally replied, pointing to the fridge where the family portrait was hung up.

"Did you now? Well, let's take a look," Dinah said, hoisting the girl up into her arms before heading over to the fridge door. "Wow, that's incredible, Al!"

"Look. I drew you, and mommy, and that's me-,"

"Of course it is. That's the smallest human in the picture."

"I'm not that small."

"You're pretty tiny, missy," Dinah retorted, earning a sigh from Ally, before the little one continued pointing at stuff.

"That's Laker and Raider. And I drew our house. And that's sister," Ally concluded, pointing at the white rabbit beside the house.

Dinah blinked back tears as she heard the words of her daughter. She forced a big smile on her face and gave the little one a squeeze and several kisses.

"You are so good, Ally Brooke. So good," the mother stated, making Ally blush at the compliment.

"Dinner's ready," Normani spoke up, smiling to the two who nodded and headed for the table.

"My favourite," Ally said excitedly as she was sat in her chair and tucked in close to the table.

"If you love it so much, let's try to get it all in your mouth tonight and not on your face," Dinah teased, serving some rice into the bowls before Normani put Gumbo on top.

"So, Brittany was talking to me about Hailee and what her adoption was like. Turns out she and Anna were fostering Hailee and then chose to adopt her."

"That's nice to hear," Dinah said, slightly confused as to what direction her wife wanted to take this.

"It reminded me that we had a foster license before we had Ally."

"That's right. Mani, maybe we should talk about this after dinner."

"I sort of contacted the social worker that placed Hailee with the Kendricks and discussed how we could get our license renewed-,"

"Wait, without me?" Dinah asked, furrowing her eyebrows.

"I was just asking some surface questions. Nothing's going to happen until we actually talk about it and do the paperwork and what not. I just wanted to let you know that we could have a new license in three days and a placement within a week. Demi needs new parents as soon as possible."