chapter thirty-two -:- her hero

At 7:53am the family of three was finally pulling up on their driveway.

Lauren was nestled safely in Dinah's arms, the woman having sat in the back since the girl was quick to protest the idea of sitting in Ally's car seat. Knowing the girl was in pain and still very shaken up, the mothers quickly complied to her request and allowed for her to sit on one of their laps while the other drove home.

"Here we are," Normani said, turning off the engine and turning around to look at Lauren. The girl's eyes seemed glazed over like she was in a daze.

Dinah caught Normani's worried glance and looked down at Lauren, gently lifting a hand to rub over the girl's forehead, effectively snapping her from her thoughts with a large flinch.

"It's okay," Dinah eased, her voice gentle as she set her face a bit more in Lauren's view so the girl could see her. "It's just me. Why don't we head inside and get you and Nala cleaned up?" The Poly offered, lifting the bag next to her where Nala was being kept.

Lauren gave a weak nod, turning a bit in her mama's hold only to find her body throbbing with pain.

She was tired, frightened, and in possibly the most pain she's been in all night since the meds from the hospital were wearing off. With all of this pent-up emotion, Lauren let out a cry and whimpered as she began to curl in on herself.

"She's in pain," Dinah whispered to her wife, tears welling in her eyes. She just wanted to make everything okay.

Normani, knowing her wife wouldn't be able to bear the thought of inflicting more pain on their daughter as she carried her upstairs, quickly hopped out of the driver's seat and went to the back, opening the door and extending her hands out.

"I've got her," Normani said, starting to lift Lauren.

The girl whimpered and released tense breaths as she started to groan from the pain.

"H-hur-ts," she managed to get out with a loud sob, once she was in her mommy's arms entirely.

"Shh, it's okay. We'll take it at your pace," Normani promised, taking a moment to just hold the girl in the middle of the driveway and allow for the pain in her body to numb out slightly.

After a minute Normani began to take tentative steps, her wife right behind her with their purses and the bag with Nala.

The Poly unlocked the door to the house and pushed it open, placing a gentle hand on her wife's lower back as she ushered her inside. The sound of Raider and Laker barking suddenly invaded the space, making Lauren flinch fiercely and cry out again.

"S-s-top!" The six-year-old begged, her chest burning from all the hits she took a few hours ago.

"Okay, okay. I've got you," Normani cooed, stopping her movements so Lauren could settle again.

Dinah dropped the bags she held in order to hold back both dogs that were eagerly trying to get to Lauren. They clearly missed her based off their loud whimpers and occasional barks.

"Let's get you upstairs," Normani soothed, starting to walk again as she went for the stairs. Dinah went off to the kitchen with the dogs, deciding to serve them breakfast so then she'd have enough time to run up to the master bedroom with her wife and shut the door.

Just as Normani got inside her room Dinah came running up behind her, bags once again at hand as she placed them by the dresser and shut the door of the room.

"Let's try a bath, sweet girl," Normani said, heading for the bathroom. "Babe, can you get her a pair of pyjamas and some underwear?"

"Of course," Dinah said, heading to their closet where they stored all of Lauren's clothes into boxes that they tucked away in the back. They knew Camila would keep searching for her sister if they'd kept Lauren's things in the same room so, with pained hearts, they took apart Lauren's bed and tucked her things away.