chapter fourteen -:- drive all night

"Last day of school! Last day of school! Last day of school!" Ally cheered as she ran around the kitchen. She rounded the corner of the island, preparing to dead sprint again when her sock covered feet slipped and she was sprawled out on the ground.

"Ally," Normani sighed, peering around the counter to see her daughter with a face that was torn between crying and trying not to. "I told you to be careful," she said, putting Camila on the ground and going towards the other girl, helping her stand and adjusting her school uniform. "Are you hurt?"

"No," Ally said, deciding that it wasn't worth crying over.

"Good. Now, please be careful. No more running, alright?"

Ally nodded her agreement and smiled when her mommy tapped her lips, asking for a kiss.

"Love you, mommy," the child said, giving her mommy a kiss before going to play with something else until it was time to go to school.

"Love you too, silly butt," Normani said, standing back up again and heading back to Camila who lifted her empty bottle up, opening and closing her right hand.

"You want more milk, my love?" Normani asked, taking the bottle from the child.

"Pees," the toddler said, standing up and following her foster mom to the cabinet that had the formula, her free hand grabbing her Elmo as she dragged it behind her.

Normani was happy that Camila was eating more, even if it was only toddler formula and baby food. The little girl's cheeks were becoming fuller, which was a great sign.

"Normani!" Dinah's voice called from upstairs, making the woman stop with her preparation of the bottle.

"Go wait with Ally, sweet girl. Your bottle will take a minute," Normani said, pointing for Camila to go to the living room while she popped the bottle into the warmer.

"Pees," the toddler said, reaching up for her milk.

"In a minute, Mila. I'll bring it to you. First I need to check on your sister."

Camila nodded and shuffled away, her squeals being heard as she found Ally.

"Mani!"

"Coming, babe!" Normani called back, hurrying up the stairs. She sighed when she found her wife and foster daughter in the little girl's room. Lauren was sat on the floor, wrapped in her towel, as she cried heavily.

"She won't get dressed, and she doesn't want to go eat her breakfast. I tried giving her the pacifier and she threw it at me."

"Oh man," Normani sighed, knowing it was the girl's exhaustion getting the better of her. Lauren was clearly not sleeping anymore and the mothers were unable to figure out why. "Lauren, you need to calm down, my love. Why don't we get dressed and go downstairs? Huh?"

"No," the small Latina whined, shaking her head as she tugged her towel closer around herself.

"She won't let me touch her," Dinah said, lifting up the underwear that the little girl refused to wear. They were aware the Lauren refused to be touched in her towel unless she had underwear on. It was one of the many things that suggested Mr. Rob did something bad to her while she lived with him.

"Okay, let's give her a minute. Sweetheart, if you need help just call for us. Dinah and I are going to step out so you can calm down," Normani explained, offering her wife a hand before tugging the Poly out the room.

Lauren's crying grew louder, making both women's hearts break. The door was open, though, and they were standing out in the hallway so they weren't too far from the little girl. They just wanted her to sort out the thoughts in her head so she could calm down properly.