chapter twenty -:- happiest place on earth

10am on the following Wednesday a knock arrived at the door signaling the arrival of Demi who was set to perform her monthly check-in of the girls.

Dinah, who was struggling to get a shirt over Camila's head, hastily called out for her wife to answer the door while she wrangled the toddler and made her look presentable.

Ally raced down the stairs, ready to open the door herself before Normani appeared and gave her a look.

"Allyson, we talked about this. No answering the door unless mama or I say you can," the woman said, making the short girl puff out a breath before stepping away from the handle.

"Sorry, mommy."

"It's alright," Normani said, rubbing Ally's head before unlocking the door and opening it.

"Where Lolo going?" Ally asked her mommy, pointing to the stairs.

"Hi Demi, thank you for coming," Normani said, missing Ally's question as she stepped aside for the social worker.

"It's my job," Demi waved off with a laugh. "How have things been?"

"It's been a learning process. We've had good and bad days," Normani explained, heading for the living room.

"That's understandable. And how are you, Miss Ally?"

"I'm good," Ally said shyly, hiding slightly behind Normani. "How are you?"

"I'm good, thanks for asking," the social worker said as she took a seat on the couch.

"Can I get you anything? Coffee? Tea? Water?"

"Water would be wonderful."

Normani nodded and headed for the kitchen, calling up the stairs in the process.

"DJ! Demi's here!"

"Coming!" The Poly replied, appearing at the bottom of the stairs just as Normani went into the kitchen. "Let's go say hello," Dinah said to the toddler in her arms, placing a kiss to the girl's cheek before entering the room where Demi sat with Ally, her daughter showing off a picture in a colouring book to the woman.

"Hi, Demi. How's it going?" Dinah asked, taking a seat diagonal to the social worker.

"Good, thanks for asking. How're you?"

"I'm wonderful."

"And Camila. How're you, sweetheart?" Demi asked, cooing to the toddler who gurgled and gripped the hair at the nape of Dinah's neck a bit harder as she stood on the couch and tried to keep her balance.

"She's been incredible. She's just a cuddly ball of sunshine."

"I'm glad to hear that," Demi smiled, thanking Normani who handed her a glass of water before she looked around the living room. "Where's Lauren?" 

"Umm..." Normani looked around herself, not recalling seeing the girl anywhere on the bottom floor.

"She's hiding," Ally said, speaking up from where she sat at the coffee table.

"Why?" Dinah asked, hoping their daughter knew more.

"I dunno," Ally said with a shrug. "I told mommy when Ms. Demi knocked on the door. Lolo ran upstairs."

"I'll go find her," Normani said, looking to her wife and nodded. "You can start looking around without me."

Demi and Dinah both fell into a conversation as Normani headed for the stairs, taking them by two and moving in the direction of the little girls' room.