chapter four -:- bright lights & darkness

Lauren whimpered as Camila let out an ear splitting sob.

"Make her shut up!" Mr. Rob, the foster father of the little girls, screamed, making Lauren flinch as she tried to pet back Camila's sweaty hair.

"'m sorry," Lauren said, doing everything in her power to make her two-year-old sister calm down. "She sick, Mr. Rob."

"Does it look like I care?" The man demanded, grabbing Lauren's chin in a tight hold, pulling a painful cry from the little girl.

"'et go, p'ease," Lauren cried, her hands still trying to comfort Camila who suddenly went quiet.

"Fucking don't make any more noise. One more sound from either of you and I'll kill you," Mr. Rob seethed, walking out of the bathroom and heading for the living room.

"Camzi, it okay now," Lauren said, petting back Camila's hair from her warm face. "Wake up."

The little girl continued to shake and pat her sister, trying to wake her up from her sudden sleep.

"I goin' to call for 'elp."

Lauren carefully laid Camila on the ground entirely and quietly ran out of the bathroom, hurrying into the living room where she found the house phone near a passed out Mr. Rob.

With shaky little hands, she stole the phone and ran back to the bathroom, her mind racking over who to call. She was too little to remember phone numbers, but Demi always told her to call if they needed help. But what was Demi's number?

The only three digits that stayed in her mind were 911.

Camila was really sick, though, so Lauren called anyways, hearing the phone hum before someone answered.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"My sister Cami won't wake up," Lauren said, sniffling as she wiped her still wet cheeks.

"What happened to her? Did she hit her head?" The woman on the other line asked, tracking the location of the call through her end.

"No. She sick. Mr. Rob was yellin' and then she felled asleep."

"Who's Mr. Rob, dear?"

"We live with him. Cami really sick."

"Can you tell me your name?"

"Lauren,"

"Lauren, I need you to listen to your sister's breathing for me. Can you see if her chest is moving?"

"It' moving. She sweatin' real bad."

"Okay. Has Cami thrown up?"

"Lots. Her tummy hurtin' real bad and then she got sick e'rywhere."

"Is Mr. Rob there?"

"He sleepin'," Lauren explained, she didn't want to add that Mr. Rob would hurt her if she woke him up.

"Can you please wake him up? It's really important to keep Cami safe."

"No. He get mad and kill me. P'ease no," Lauren started to sob, not wanting to be bad and disobey the nice lady but also not wanting to get hurt again.

"Okay, okay. An ambulance is coming, sweetheart. Do you think you can unlock the door for me?"

"Okay," Lauren sniffled, leaving Camila's side again and sneaking by the living room to get the door unlocked. Her little legs could barely reach the only lock on the door, so the child improvised and grabbed a nearby stool, unaware of the noise she was making that began to stir the man in the living room.