chapter nineteen -:- baby mine

3 days later...

Dinah groaned as she woke up feeling her shirt stick to her uncomfortably. Normani's legs were tangled in her own, making the heat her body was currently feeling even worse.

"Shit," she mumbled, gently shoving her wife away, before sitting up and tugging off her sweat-stained shirt. For a brief moment, she worried that she caught something and had a fever, but she didn't feel ill.

Then she remembered today was set to be the hottest day of the year with temperatures in the high 40s (104+). But they had AC in the house.

Suddenly her eyes widened, sending her off the bed and running down the stairs, still shirtless, to check the AC control unit.

Sure enough, the thing had a blank screen. Even after the Poly jabbed her fingers against the various buttons, the panel stayed blank.

"Really?" She asked, smacking the unit before puffing out an annoyed breath and returning upstairs.

She stripped of her thicker cotton shorts and threw on a light tank-top before climbing back onto the bed and shaking her wife awake.

"Go away, D," Normani mumbled, shifting uncomfortably in her own sweaty clothes.

"Mani, you need to change into something lighter. The AC is busted," the Poly explained as she pulled at Normani's shirt to encourage her wife to sit up.

"It was working yesterday," Normani said, now more aware of the excessive heat in the room.

"Well, it's not working anymore. Get changed. I'm going to check on the girls."

"We have to keep Ally cool. She can't afford to get a fever from this," the older woman said, making her wife nod as she climbed off the bed.

"I'm going to open the windows."

Together the women opened all the windows of the house, grateful that it allowed for a slight breeze to enter the home.

As they started making breakfast and filling up cups with ice water, Ally and Lauren entered the kitchen, both with slightly red cheeks due to the warmth.

"Mommy, it's hot," Ally whined, pulling at the neck of her shirt.

"I know, love. The AC is broken. But you girls get to hang out in your underwear for a bit. That's fun, right?" Normani asked, crouching in front of Ally and tugging the shirt and pants off the girl.

Lauren started to remove her pajamas as well, smiling when she felt slightly better.

"Can we swim in the pool?" Ally asked, allowing her hair to get pulled up into a bun, watching her mama do the same to her sister.

"I don't think it'd be good for you both to be out in the sun today. Mama and I will think of something to do, though. Okay?"

Both little girls nodded before going to the table and taking a seat.

"I'm going to check on Mila. Can you get the girls started with breakfast?" Dinah asked, receiving a nod from her wife who was serving yogurt into plastic bowls.

The Poly hurried upstairs, coming to a stop when she found her little girl sitting up in bed with bright red cheeks and furrowed eyebrows.

"Hey, sweetheart. Did you sleep well?" 

Camila whined and shook her head sliding off her bed before Dinah could help her off.

"Do you need a diaper change?"

Camila just scowled a bit deeper and crossed her arms.

"Someones grumpy," Dinah laughed, picking Camila up from under her armpits.