chapter twenty-two -:- stay with you

"I really don't think this is a good idea," Dinah stressed as she packed a diaper bag for Camila, watching her wife walk from their walk-in closet holding an outfit.

"Do we have a choice?" Normani asked, stripping of her pyjamas that she was set to wear to bed but was now having to change out of with the sudden switch of plans.

"We can lie and say one of the girls is sick," Dinah suggested, zipping the bag shut before heading to the closet herself.

"And? They'll just ask us to come in another night," Normani said, slipping on a loose white shirt to go with her black skinny jeans.

"I was hoping we could start going back to work with the girls, you know? Get Lauren and Camila comfortable with that environment."

"I get it, but we can't exactly drag a two-year-old, a five-year-old, and a six-year-old to the studio at 9pm."

"Camila's going to throw a fit," Dinah said, already dreading having to leave the girls at Andrea and Derrick's house.

"She's already fast asleep. Hopefully, she won't notice."

"Lauren then," Dinah challenged, throwing her hair up in a bun, not bothering to do anything else with it.

"She'll fall asleep in the car."

"We better make this trip to the studio quick then because if our babies wake up and we're not there then we are going to be taking so many steps backward with this whole trust thing."

"It'll be fine, babe," Normani said, pressing a kiss to her wife's cheek before she grabbed her phone and keys from the nightstand and slung the diaper bag over her shoulder. "I'm going to get Ally and Lauren in the car. Can you get Camila without waking her?"

"Sure," Dinah said, puffing out an anxious breath before she finished putting together her outfit.

Normani went down the stairs and detoured through the kitchen to grab a few bottles that had the correct amount of formula in them so her parents could just add the water and give to Camila.

Once those were loaded in the bag she went to the living room and smiled at both Lauren and Ally who were lounging on the couch watching The Bernstein Bears.

"Come on, loves. We have to go out," Normani said, pausing the DVD and shutting off the TV, a silent promise that the girls could watch it later.

"Where're we going, mommy?" Ally asked as she got up, Lauren sluggishly following her as she was sipping her warm milk from her sippy cup, already feeling the effects of her sleeping medicine as it made her tired.

"Mama and I have to pop by work. You girls are going to have a sleepover with grandma and grandpa tonight."

"Stay with you," Lauren said as her eyes grew heavy.

"We'll be back before you wake up," Normani said, hoisting Lauren onto her hip before she took Ally's hand and led the girl out to the driveway. "Get strapped in, love," Normani said to Ally as she opened the girl's door and then went to the other side to get Lauren in.

Normani got Lauren into her seat, getting the girl to finish the rest of her milk while she waited for Dinah to bring out Camila.

The Poly came out two minutes later, locking the door behind her before she went to the car and handed off Camila to Normani.

Once the toddler was strapped into her seat between her sisters, Normani got into the front seat, taking the various comfort items of all the girls to distribute in the back while her wife began to drive.