the talk

CHAPTER FOUR: i don't wanna be this way

-

i smiled at the waiter politely as, he pulled out my chair and placed the menu's down.

"what would you and your father like to have for dinner this fine evening, miss brown?"

my lips turned downwards at the attention of the man in front of me who all but, waved his hand in the air.

"i'll have a bourbon on the rocks with your finest steak and she'll have a water with the spring salad."

i nodded. "yes, please," i whispered looking apologetic for my father's rudeness.

he smiled sensing my apologies. "no problem, we'll have your drinks and orders out as soon as possible." and then he was off. leaving me and the man sitting across in awkward tension.

"do you know why i wanted to have dinner tonight millie?"

"no papa. why?"

"record sales have been off the chart. i just thought we should discuss it. after all,-" here it comes. "i believe we could make it even better."

there it is.

"oh?" my drink was placed in from of me then and, i wasted no time in gulping the refreshing liquid. "how's that papa?" i asked nervously.

"more interviews. more push factors on your twitter handle. more press. more everything."

"b-but haven't we already done enough? i.. i mean i'm already promoting my new single on every major channel and, i'm singing at the vma's too..." my voice lowered to a whisper by the end at his hardening glare.

"are disagreeing with me?"

"no! i'm just-"

"cause i'm pretty sure that are. that's what i'm hearing at least."

my collar felt like it was choking me and i found myself tugging at it uselessly since, i still couldn't breathe properly. "i'm just... im tired papa."

my voice had cracked and i hated how i let the vulnerability seep into my tone.

"that's just your mind talking millie. you like to sing yes?"

"um uh yes. i-i love it."

"then you push and push. you're gonna do this because it's what you were put on this earth for millie."

there was no room for argument. all i was good for was my voice.

"yes sir," i mumbled back and he smiled.

"good now that that's out of the way, why don't we talk about that new bodyguard of yours?" his eyes were analyzing my demeanor closely and, it took everything in me not to panic.

i took a bite of my salad; buying a bit of time. "well um... he's just fine. sadie helped decide into the whole factor of everything. his name is finn," i said.