Chapter 1

Alex

On my way to work Monday after leaving The Coffee Bar, I realized I needed to make a phone call. I had made plans with a girl I had recently met through mutual friends. She is a nice girl named, Ashley Bowen. The kind of girl my mother would like for me, I had to laugh to myself.  We've gone out a few times, but nothing serious.

I'm not looking for a serious relationship right now. I'm so busy with my career, and I'm still young enough to take my time getting married and starting a family.

That's why I was a little disconcerted this morning when I walked into The Coffee Bar, and spotted Megan. I started to feel a weird sensation in my chest. I don't know why my heart rate started picking up speed as I stood on line.

Then I decided to go over and say hello to her. That was a big mistake. Her green eyes, with brown flecks drew me in like a fish on a hook. She is absolutely exquisite.

My mother was less snobbish, after Chance got engaged to Avalon. He finally stood up to Cecilia Corwin, which took a lot of guts. He has my utmost respect. I don't think she will be so controlling over our love lives. And who my brother, Brandon, or I choose to date.

My mother realized having a relationship with her sons is more important, now that my father passed away. We're everything to her, and that includes letting us choose who we marry.

I live on my own in a nice loft in Manhattan, close to our office building. It turns out, now my mother tells everyone about her Tony Award Nominated daughter-in-law with great pride. She is growing quite fond of Avalon, and can't wait until the day that she becomes a grandmother.

Chance and Avalon don't plan to start a family right away. I don't blame them, they still have their careers and plenty of time for children. I don't see myself settling down anytime soon either and definitely not having kids right away. I've never really been a kid person. Then, I met the cutest little five year old, with big chocolate eyes and a missing front tooth.

She melts my heart the way she calls me Mr. Alex, and gives me her snaggletooth grin. I couldn't believe that I was so excited to be invited to her Kindergarten Graduation this Friday.  When I leaned in close to Megan to put her phone number in my Contacts, I knew I was a goner. Her nearness did something to me. I felt an instant chemistry I can't explain.

"Good morning Ashley. I'm fine, thank you. I was calling to let you know I have to cancel our lunch plans for this Friday. I'm going to a Kindergarten Graduation." I figured I would be honest, since I had nothing to hide.

She didn't reply right away. "You are canceling our plans for a Kindergarten Graduation. Is this a joke? I never pegged you for the type of guy who cared about things like that." She actually laughed quite loud.

I rubbed the back of my neck. "I happened to have made friends, with a five year old little girl. Her name is Liliana and I am quite fond of her. Her mother is friends with my sister-in-law. They are like family. Since my brother and his wife are on their honeymoon, I'm going to be there for her." I couldn't believe how insulted I felt, when I answered her indignantly.

She quickly apologized. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean it like it sounded. I'm sure the little girl will appreciate you being there. I'm sure her mom will too. We'll do lunch another day. . .maybe on Saturday. At least I know I have competition for your time." She added half joking, but sounded serious.

"The little girl's name is, Liliana. I'm just getting on the elevator to head to my office. I'll call or text you later and let you know about Saturday. I might be working, since I'm taking time off on Friday. Have a good day, Ashley." Suddenly, Ashley was more annoying than I remembered.