Chapter 14

Alex

I decided to get Megan an engagement ring. I called a jeweler that I trusted in the Diamond District. He said he would have a selection of rings ready for me to look at.

I stopped to fill out the marriage license application, and then headed to pick out a ring. I used a back entrance to the jewelry store and was very discreet.

He pulled out a lot of sparkling diamonds for me to see. "Most people want to propose with a huge diamond ring. But I'm going to give you a lesson on the importance of the cut, quality, and clarity of the diamond." He spoke with his New York accent. He laid out the diamonds and a chart for me to look at. I saw flaws and scratches in some of the diamonds underneath the microscope lens.

I wanted to pick out a flawless diamond for Megan. She wouldn't expect one, and that made it more special. I couldn't believe I was proposing marriage—a life long commitment, to this special woman and her daughter . . . tonight.

I had security with me. So, I didn't worry about danger. I didn't want to tip off Mr. McKay—in case he had eyes on me.

You never know with him, it's always good to be cautious and alert.

I picked out the ring, and another special surprise. I hopped in the waiting black SUV parked in the back alley way of the jewelry store, and we headed home. I called my mother to make sure everything was on schedule, according to my plan.

"Hi Mom. Did the cook prepare the dinner I asked for—and make up the menus?" I was excited about my plan.

"Yes, sweetheart. Megan and Liliana will be so surprised. Avalon is picking up the cake on her way home from the theater. We are all so excited. You're making a wise choice, I'm proud of you," my mother went sentimental on me.

I wasn't expecting that from her. She really, has come a long way.

She added. "I gave Megan your message. She and Liliana are putting on fancy dresses, because you are taking them to dinner."

"Thank you, Mom. I love you." Then I realized, I don't tell her how much I love her.

My mother got choked up. "I love you too Alex,"

I arrived home to Megan and Liliana all dressed up. They were ready to go out to dinner. I startled them, opening the front door. I'm not usually home so early. Liliana gave me her trademark smile.

I gave them each a hug. "I'm going to run upstairs and change for dinner. I'll be right back, don't go anywhere."

I returned downstairs dressed in formal wear. Megan seemed to appreciate my look, by the expression on her face.

"We must be going to a really fine dining restaurant—the way we're all dressed up. Do you think we should leave Liliana here with your mom?" She was worried, the restaurant might not be kid friendly.

I picked up Liliana and put Megan's arm in mine, as I walked them out onto the back deck. It had a table covered with a white linen tablecloth, set with fine China, silver ware, and crystal glasses.

Rose petals covered the entire deck. Some decorated the tablecloth, with glass candle holders filled with rose petals and candles, as a centerpiece. There was a silver ice bucket, with a bottle of sparkling cider chilling. I had that, with Liliana in mind.

Megan and Liliana stood in mild astonishment, as they looked around at how amazing and romantic everything looked. Megan was a little shaky—she didn't quite know what to make of all of this.