Chapter 16

Alex (Corwin Development Corporation)

"Brandon, I need you to come to my office, immediately. I just got off the phone with Megan.  She told me the most startling news, that should change this adoption custody battle. We'll be putting our wedding on hold, this weekend." I sat back in my chair in my office, with all kinds of disquieting thoughts flashing through my mind.

John McKay is Megan's father, too? She and Liliana are half sisters? She never told me, before today. I thought she trusted me. What is going on?

A knock sounded at my door. "Enter." I was still in shock.

"Hey Alex what's going on? You don't look good, bro. What happened?" Chance, looked at me with worry-filled eyes, as he sat in a chair facing my desk.

"I got a phone call from Megan this morning. The plans for today have changed. Mom, is watching Liliana and they aren't going dress shopping for the wedding. The wedding is actually on hold, due to a new revelation involving Megan, Liliana, and Megan's sister, Justine." I sounded crazy to my own ears.

"Whoa, whoa, back up. What the heck are you saying? Megan found her sister, Justine? Who is Justine? I'm so confused with this whole conversation . . . . How did everything suddenly change overnight, literally?" Chance was just as confused as me!

"Your guess is as good as mine—right now. That's just the tip of the iceberg. There are other bombshell revelations. I'm waiting for Brandon to get here, to tell you both the whole story at the same time." I was not going to repeat this story more than one time. I was blindsided by this whole thing.

Brandon came rushing in like he just ran a marathon. "What is this breaking news, that's changing the adoption custody case with Liliana? I broke my neck to get here, as fast as I could."

"Brandon, have a seat. I have a feeling we'll be here all day, and long into the night. I'm having the conference room set up for us and I ordered food . . . and plenty of coffee and drinks." I blew out my breath and raked my fingers through my hair.

I dove right into the story. "Megan's long lost sister, Justine, called her this morning. She's been following this custody battle and was finally able to track Megan down, after nineteen years of separation. She wants to help Megan keep custody of Liliana."

"How is she able to make an impact on this case, I don't get it?" Brandon was perplexed.

"Her name is Justine McKay. Megan is John McKay's daughter and Liliana, is their half sister."  I laid it all out for my brothers. Chance and Brandon sat their dumbfounded.

"Well, now you know how I feel. I still can't believe it, no matter how I try to make sense of the whole story. Megan, never said a word all of this time," I spoke angrily.

"So, John McKay knew this all along and had leverage over Megan." Chance rubbed his chin.

"Basically, and he would have used it if he felt the need. And if he didn't get his way. Justine, is going to back Megan up. And let it be known, what kind of horrible father he really is. Those girls must have really gone through some experience living with him—until they were taken away by the State." I pounded my fist on my desk, I was so furious.

"Mr. Corwin, the conference room is ready, and the food just arrived." Barbara notified me.

"Okay, thank you. Can you let everyone know, Chance and I are not available for the rest of the day? We will be in a meeting in the conference room, and are not to be disturbed for any reason.  We are expecting visitors, and only they will be allowed entrance." I gave her a list of names, that will only be permitted in the conference room.

"Certainly, Mr. Corwin. I will personally, escort your guests to the conference room, as they arrive." She was helpful, and very intuitive. Barbara, didn't ask any further questions.

"Thank you, Barbara. I know I can always count on you." I smiled at her, as she closed my office door.

"Brandon, I want you to call John McKay's attorney and inform her of this latest development. Have her get down here, along with her client. We're going to handle this right here at Corwin Development Corporation—not in the courtroom. This ends today, one way or another." I put my hands in my pants pockets, and looked out of my window.

I contemplated how I will calm myself, before my fiancée arrives, with her sister and JohnMcKay. How are we going to explain to Liliana, that her mommy is also her sister?

The plot is getting thicker by the second . . . I know Megan was protecting Liliana, but this has to be explained in a very delicate manner.

I want our marriage and our relationship with Liliana, to based on the truth.

"Alex, I just got a call from Avalon. She and Megan are on their way to The Coffee Bar to meet, Justine. They'll meet us here, in the conference room. It's going to be fine, bro." Chance, walked over and put his hand on my back.

"Alright, I just spoke to the McKay's attorney. She informed him of the status of the case, with the new developments. She and the McKay's will be here within the hour." Brandon brought us up to speed.

"Thank you for handling that, Brandon. This is going to be a long day and one I'm not looking forward to, for so many reasons. One night, I'm proposing to Megan to stop McKay from getting custody of Liliana. The next morning, I'm finding out that Megan is McKay's daughter too." I shook my head and punched the wall in frustration.

"You have to calm down, Alex. Look at all the variables. It makes sense why Megan had to do what she did for, Liliana. This doesn't change your relationship, with them. We just have to deal with McKay in a different way. But deal with him, we will." Chance was adamant. He can be nice, but you don't want to get him upset.

"I just got an idea. I'm running to my office to get some paperwork. We're going to draw up new adoption papers. Alex, you need to file for adoption of Liliana. We're not going to worry about Megan, since you two are getting married. We need the legal name change to Liliana Corwin. We need McKay, to sign over his parental rights for the adoption." Brandon was right, that was the best legal strategy.

"Good thinking Brandon, that's perfect. Megan's last name will be Corwin, when we get married. I need to legally adopt Liliana, either way. So we should do it now, before she starts school." I was starting to feel more calm.

"I'm sure I can get it pushed through, in the next few weeks. I can call in a few favors. It's all going to work out." Brandon, hit my arm on his way out of the door.

"Meet us in the conference room, and we'll battle this out with that maniac," I yelled to Brandon. I can't wait to get this confrontation over with. The sooner the better. . . .

~Don't Forget to Vote/Comment~❤️

I hope you are enjoying this Story ~ ❤️