Chapter 18

Alex

Barbara escorted The McKays into the conference room with their Attorney. I did my best to not even address the man, as we waited. Brandon, arrived with all of the new paperwork. Then, Megan, Avalon, and Justine walked in.

It was unreal how closely Justine resembled Megan. Both Chance and Brandon did a double take. I stood pensively, leaning against a wall while everyone else was seated.

"Alex, this is my sister, Justine. We've been separated for nineteen years and we have a thirty-one year old brother, Max. We have to locate him, as well." She bit her lip while nervously, introducing us.

"Nice to meet you Justine. Thank you for contacting Megan by phone this morning and being willing to help with this custody battle." I graciously, extended my hand and shook hers.

"I'm pleased to meet my soon to be, brother-in-law. I've seen your pictures in the newspaper. It's nice to meet you in person." Justine smiled, anxiously.

Megan introduced Justine to Chance and Brandon. They were both very cordial to her. Brandon in particular—seemed extra intrigued by Justine.

"Enough of all the niceties! Can we get to the real reason we are all here. I'm a busy man and I don't have time to waste." McKay, had the nerve to say.

With my jaw tightened, I spoke through clenched teeth. "You should be thankful, I even allowed you into this office and conference room, Sir. Which, you don't even deserve to be called."

"How dare you speak to me like that. You need a lesson on how to respect your elders.  I don't tolerate people not showing me respect. I don't care if you are a Corwin, with money and power in this City. I'm not scared of any of you." John McKay wanted to taunt me and get me to react.

"I only respect those who deserve respect. You have not proven worthy, with the way you have treated Megan, Justine, Max, Liliana, and whatever other children you have. I may be younger than you, but I know how to treat women and children, with respect and honor. Something, someone obviously, didn't teach you Mr. McKay." I was not backing down.

"Okay, Alex calm down. Mr. McKay, the reason we invited you here today is because your daughter, Justine McKay, is willing to go to court. She will testify in behalf of her sister, Megan, as to you not being a fit father for nineteen years. Your oldest three children were taken away, and put into foster care. So was Liliana, at the time Miss Kennedy adopted her. No Judge, would give you custody." Brandon, intervened and spoke smoothly.

"I wasn't invited here, I was summoned to be here by you Corwins. You think you can boss people around—well not me. I won't be bullied by any of you." He spit his words out with disdain.

"Why don't we just hear them out?" Mrs. McKay spoke up, and shocked everyone in the room.

"Are you serious? I don't need to hear anything they have to say, until they give me Liliana back." John, was really aggravating me at this point.

"Obviously, you must want to hear something we have to say, or you would not have come down here, Mr. McKay.  We didn't twist your arm." Chance stood and glared at him across the conference table.

"What is it that you really want? Is it money? You told Megan you wanted $500,000 and she could get it from us. Is that what you're really after? How are you going to raise a five year old and you're in your late fifty's?" Chance, called him out and was getting heated.

"Do not answer him, Mr. McKay." His lawyer advised him.

"The way I figure it, these ungrateful girls owe me more than $500,000. They turned against their own father," McKay, sounded pitiful. But it was all an act.

I grabbed him by the neck and had him pinned against the wall. "Don't you ever talk about my fiancée, her daughter, or sister, Justine, in a disrespectful way again. Did you hear me, Mr. McKay? Because, I won't repeat it again."

I let go of McKay. I stepped away and straightened my tie and suit jacket. I think I made my point clear, when I saw Mr. McKay's countenance change.

"Did you see the way he roughed me up? Write that down." He was pointing frantically, to his lawyer.

"Believe me, I didn't rough you up. Would you like me to demonstrate roughing you up?" I dared him to try me.

McKay, actually had nothing to say after that. Megan's and my eyes met for the first time. I saw pride there, in her beautiful green gaze. I stood up for her, Liliana, and Justine. She was happy.

Brandon, started lining up papers on the conference table, with pens. "Mr. McKay we can settle this here, or in the courtroom. It's your choice—I'm here to represent my client, Alexander Corwin. He is seeking to adopt, Liliana Kennedy. I have papers here for you to sign, giving him your full consent to legally adopt her."

"I'm confused, what happened to Megan's adoption claim?" Mr. McKay's eyes darted back and forth, perplexed.

"Alex and Megan are getting married. . . . Alex would like to adopt Liliana and legally change her last name to Corwin." Brandon notified him, while Megan's eyes beamed. She looked on in amazement.

"What happens if I decided not to sign?" John feigned ignorance.

"Then, we'll see you in court. Both of your daughters will testify against you not being a fit parent. Like I said before, no Judge will award you custody—all things considered." Brandon, advised him in no uncertain terms.

"The way I see it, I'm a winner either way. My precious daughter, Megan, is marrying Alex Corwin. He will be my son-in-law. Now, I'm going to be a part of the Corwin family. What papers would you like me to sign, Brandon, is it?" John, was really pushing all of our buttons, at that point. 

I never thought about him being my father-in-law, considering I just found out today, he is Megan's father.

There is nothing anyone of us could do about that and he knew it. He won, for now . . . .

John McKay happily signed all of the legal documents allowing me to adopt Liliana. He left the conference room shaking Chance's, Brandon's, and my hand. He was grinning from ear to ear. It all hit him, Megan was marrying me—a Corwin.

We all let out our breath and took a collective sigh. This battle was finally . . . over. I will marry Megan and Liliana will be our daughter, Liliana Corwin.

I walked over to Megan and I wrapped my arms around her, giving her a tight hug. I bent my head and kissed her, with all of the love and tenderness I had. She kissed me back just as lovingly. It was a celebration of the journey we had taken together, and now we could finally be a family.

Everyone clapped, and Megan broke the kiss. She blushed adorably. What a day this had been. Now, we could to go home and see Liliana. I couldn't wait to tell my mother the good news. She'll be happy to start planning a big wedding. Megan, deserved to have that.

I was willing to put up with John McKay, for Megan and Liliana . . . .

             ~Don't Forget To Vote/Comment~

            *The Epilogue is in the Next Chapter*